Gail Ann Dorsey Has My Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    ... well not really. But I see her pictured on the cover of the latest Bass Player with a blueburst early 90's era MusicMan Stingray 5 and I absolutely lusted over that bass in that colour at the time. My local dealer had a shipment coming in and I wanted one with a maple fingerboard and ended up getting one in transparent white. The blueburst would have been my first choice.

I still occasionally keep an eye open for one and once saw one come up for sale locally. Unfortunately, it was a boat anchor. Maybe one day...

Do you have a bass that you lusted after when you were younger that you're keeping an eye out for?

1991_MusicMan_Stingray5_Blue_002A.jpg

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Those were the best BB ever IMO . Pretty sure most were Poplar . LOve that color .

Smallmouth_Bass and BrentSimons like this.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My early playing days had me lusting after Thunderbirds. Finally got one, or rather built a Fenderbird and quickly realized it wasn’t for me. I still absolutely love the aesthetic though.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    73443B20-FCE7-4FA8-B49F-999FABCDAFCF.jpeg

I wanted a Seventies style Fender Jazz and a Music Man when I was younger.

covermego, murphy, HardNHeavy and 9 others like this.
  5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
  6. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Like you, I desired a StingRay . I also have always wanted a purple bass, and a bass with sparkle finish. After owning and playing many StingRay basses , they all came and went due to various reasons. I had all but given up on them and vowed never again. as years past, I also realized that I am a 5 string player . Ernie Ball released the Specials this year with a finish that caught my eye andI had to give it one more try. Im so glad that I did. I finally have the bass of my dreams.

Another dream bass of mine was a nice 5 string Birdseye maple/alder , not too heavy or big bodied with comfy neck and passive /active electronics. . Something to keep rounds on because I prefer flats on my Ray5 and Pbass. I was looking for a replacement for my Carvin SB5000. ( Too much body mass). Finally found something that I liked even better . Now Im set on basses. No longer searching.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, you certainly got it with the Amethyst Sparkle! I am liking the Front Green Pearl on the newer Stingray Specials.

MAXSPINRUN and lowdownthump like this.
  8. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I like that green too. :thumbsup:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I remember seeing this ad in a magazine and thinking that's the sexiest non-human thing on Earth. I even put the ad up in my room.

Sadly, when I could afford a Spector I tried one out. It just doesn't fit my hands and playing style at all. Not even close. I still love seeing them on stage though.
    Screenshot_20211214-222943_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Joebone, Spidey2112, burgerdj and 5 others like this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    murphy, bobunit, MonetBass and 8 others like this.
  12. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have desired Gail Ann Dorsey for decades
    She is an A+Grade talent

Did manage to secure a MTD Grendel years back. Great instrument, she used one heaps with David Bowie.

murphy and lowdownthump like this.
  13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I tried a 5-string Spector a bit before Covid hit and I suspected it wouldn't balance well due to the alignment of the upper horn in relation to the 12 fret and I was right. I strapped it on and it was a long reach and neck dive city. But, they work for many. I agree that they are beautiful looking basses though.

two fingers likes this.
  14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I owned a 1990 Stingray 5 in Translucent Blueburst (aka Steve Morse blue) with a poplar body and a rosewood board for several years. Loved the three-way switching (parallel/single-coil/series) so much I worked it into a Valenti build a few years ago with a Nordy BigSplitMan pickup... and it still sounds great!

But yeah, that SR5 was a good bass... super-solid. Anyone on TalkBass land this one? I sold it via eBay in 2003. Mint green guard was added... preamp was swapped out as well. I don't want it back or anything, but it would be cool to swap notes with you if you're out there!

DSCN0899.JPG DSCN0904.JPG

15. She's an incredible gentle and down to earth human being. Loved watching this interview.

I am old enough to have bought them all now. Since I played a sunburst 70s P bass with that large TV logo when I was about 15 or 16 in the late 70s, I bought one a few years ago blind for not too much money because of the non-original pick-ups I guess. One of my favs now. And one of my lightest weight Fenders - contrary to widespread believes although it is ash.

Joshua, andruca, slagbass and 7 others like this.
  16. I couldn't edit, ...

Mine's a 93 and tis excellent
    See thru guard was on when I got it. Have the orig white one too

jwindham and lowdownthump like this.
  17. I think I've owned or at least played all the basses I wanted when I was a wee lad. Grateful to have found some really nice instruments and have stuck with me.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Modulus Flea bass (now called the Funk Unlimited), blue sparkle flake:

IMG_8748_4f47f39f-b7a8-464c-a416-c21e2f3c54ed_1024x1024.jpg

Peace,
    SoundSupport

19. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I used to want a Warwick Dolphin but definitely got over it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022