Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gail Ann Dorsey on Conan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I was watching Bowie on a Comdey Central rerun of Conan. Gail had her new MTD Saratoga (5 string, amber finish, maple board). Even on my tiny TV speakers the bass sounded great. It had a very punchy and articulate sound. The bass held up wonderfully in the mix. Great playing and a great bass!

Mike

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I saw that. Man, her bass tone was good. A tad bit more modern sounding than I like, but pretty full and very round.

She is a good player. I'd like to hang out with her sometime and just chat.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    She lives about 75 miles from me... and we both endorse MTD stuff. Perhaps Michael will introduce us at some point

Mike

4. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Ah man, I saw either her or Me'Shell playing on SNL one time....can't remember the band, but she was playing a red Stingray 4 through a Hartke cab and man...the tone was amazing! I hate Hartke cabs, but damn....that slap tone!

Anyway, am I the only one that gets Gail Ann Dorsey and Me'Shell confused? :(

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Yup;)

6. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

*weeps*

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Bowie has been on a few live TV shows over here recently and I have Digital TV fed through my large studio monitor speakers - and it was a great bass sound!! ;)

She seems a very tasteful player and is quite prepared to drop out and sing or play percussion.

I noticed from previous TV shows that she seems to be averse to slapping? So - when it comes to "Ashes to Ashes" with its prominent slap bass part, the guitarist took over and Gail played guitar.

I mean that line is not hard and I'm sure she could do it - but maybe it upsets her sensibilities or concept of what is "good taste" - maybe you could ask her, if you get to meet up? ;)

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Trivia alert-I saw Gail Ann Dorsey on an 80's show called the tube, she sang two songs accompanied by just a Stingray 4 (which she played of course).

9. ...Yeah, I've noticed that too. But the guitarist, Mark Plati, also plays bass on some of the recent albums, and mayby he just knew the song better (did he rocord it back then?), or - as you said - maybe it's just a style/preference issue. It's very tasty anyway, especially the last bit of the song were it sort of disolves.
    Bruce, do you know if he plays a Stingray (sounds like one on "live at the Beep), or is it the clip were he plays a white Fender you saw?

Gail is still a very nice bassplayer!