Gain match stereo rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sunn2000s200s, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Sunn2000s200s

Sunn2000s200s

Jan 19, 2020
    Hey all,

Been loving my Sunn 2000s, I've also got a Sunn 200s - I'm wanting to run a stereo rig for guitar and bass. I have the same 15" cabinets made by Bag End that I love one for each. I understand that I will need to gain match in order to get the correct response out of the two for stereo. I'm considering getting another 2000s off reverb because having 2x2000s' would be badass, right? However if I can gain match and get a decent volume out of the 200s, 2000s rig that wold be just as badass.

So my question is - should I splurge on a new old sunn amp for a closer gain match? Or should I gain match with the 200s/23000s combo - and what would be the tool to use there? Some sort of nigh-transparent pedal preamp thing? Does the Lehle Dual I have do that? It does have "volume" knobs? Are those gain knobs? If I hit a pedal through them is one amp going to respond at a totally different volume than the other? I would like to understand the 'how' theoretically before I rig it.

Best as always,

Will

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    There are several different ways to run a "stereo" rig. You have to narrow down what you're trying to accomplish a little more for us to be of any help.

Omega Monkey and Pat C. like this.
  3. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    When you say "stereo rig" are talking about utilizing stereo effects (chorus, delay, etc.) and running a left/right setup? Or are you referring to running two amps in a wet(FX)/dry setup?

Seems like the Lehle Dual may route things the way you want regardless of which direction you're going. And the volume going to each amp should be adjustable on that pedal.

When you say 'gain match', what exactly do you mean? I can think of a few different interpretations of that and want to respond with info that you're actually seeking.

4. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I'm not intimately familiar with the differences between those 2 amps, but if the preamps are similar, it should just be a matter of setting the preamps the same (maybe with slight variances), and then adjusting the volume on each head until you get the same volume from each side.

But personally, I think the best way to go if you want a proper stereo rig is to have a matched set of amps.

5. Sunn2000s200s

Sunn2000s200s

Jan 19, 2020
    by gain match I mean if the two wattages are different on the amps (the 2000 is more than twice as powerful) if I were to hit a boost pedal going into the lehle it should (correct me if I’m wrong) make the higher power amp jump in volume much more than the smaller.

let me know. I’m seriously considering getting that 2000s on reverb and running stereo that way - I mean a left right ping ponging, chorusing, vibrotremoluxing and all those other goodie stereoing effects that way. Thing is - my 2000s is solid state preamped which doubles its power compared to the one online so I might still have the same problem with “gain matching”

Thanks,

6. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    If you have the 2 amps set up to be the same volume, and turn on a boost which is going to both, they will still be the same volume.

Also, the preamp has nothing to do with the power, only how hot you might have to run the preamp section to get the full rated output of the amp, also there's no correlation between preamp signal output in tube vs solid state preamps, unless you are referring to these specifc amps maybe (but it wouldn't be more powerful because it was solid state, it would be because of the various other design differences and engineering choices involved).

It seems like you're saying there were different versions of the 2000 head, if that's the case, you should wait to get one that matches what you already have. Your best and easiest results will come from fully matched, identical amps. Once you start playing around with different power amp outputs, different preamp signal strength, etc... you start having to futz with things a lot more rather than just plugging in and playing.

Sunn2000s200s and Pat C. like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022