1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gain nob on pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duncorama, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    I recently purchased a Boss ODB3 and a Boss Mega Distortion and although i've read the manuals etc i still understand why they have both a volume nob and a 'gain' nob.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what effect the gain nob has an the sound and how i should be using it?
    Cheers!

2. gain is the amount of distortion/overdrive, or whaterver.

volume is just the actual amount of volume coming out at the end of the pedal, it doesn't affect how the pedal sounds at all, just makes it louder or quieter.

3. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Ah right i see, so the blend nob doesn't actually effect the ammount of distortion, it just allows me to decide how much clean bass i can hear at the same time. Is that right?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    What's a nob?

5. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    One of the little round pegs at the top of an effects pedal. They can also be found on amps, guitars and on space shuttles.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sorry, but that is incorrect.

7. You got it. A handful of dirt pedals won't have a gain or drive knob ::cough holy stain cough::. In those cases, the way to control the gain is to increase or decrease the input signal.

8. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    ...and more commonly spelt "knob" for those not spelling impared...

9. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    How's that then big lad?

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    "impaired".

:p

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Look it up.

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :meh: OK, a little grownup intervention here:

Gain does not mean distortion. Gain means how much your signal level is increased going into/through a circuit. In devices that are designed to distort, like guitar amps and distortion pedals, increasing the signal level going in will cause more distortion. On pedals that don't have a gain control, you can use any other device (like a preamp/boost pedal) to increase the signal level going in, which will result in more distortion.

The volume knob controls the overall output level, and the blend knob controls the mix between clean and distorted bass.

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Um, i've always thought of it as -

Gain - Pre Effect Gain
    Vol - Post Effect Gain

So set the gain until the pedal sounds like you want it to, then use the volume knob to match the volume of the pedal at 'off' to the pedal at 'on'.

14. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    +1

15. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    ^
    Listen to this one!

:bag:

16. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Gain affects the sound outside of overall volume. Volume does not, be sure to make that distinction.

17. Bongo to the rescue...again!

18. Much better stated than mine.:scowl:

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A distortion pedal is basically a preamp. Trat it just like you do with your amp.

20. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Excellent!
    Thats cleared it up for me hugely cheers.