Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uly_, Jan 29, 2006.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hello out there :)

Due to my bands 'guitarist situation' I'm in need of a two stage overdrive setup to make parts of the songs heavier etc. Had my second rehearsal today with the setup posted in my signature (except for the tube-bass which i'm currently waiting for), but it sounds odd! - really! Mostly because of the two different sounding overdrives I've got. It just dosn't work out for me.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for:

step 1: clean
    step 2: light overdrive
    step 3: heavy overdrive

So I came to think about resizing my setup by just having the following:

[​IMG]

Now for the question (drum solo): Will this give me what i'm looking for?

And, won't the overall volume go insanely loud if/when I kick in the mxr booster to reach the 'heavy overdrive' level? :eek:

In other words; I'm not looking for an overall volume boost, just hit the 2nd gain channel on the preamp to get the light overdrive and hit the MXR for the heavy one.

I'm by no means a tube expert, the tube-bass will be the first thing I've ever had with tubes in it.

Anyway, thanks a lot in advance!

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    any1? :bawl:

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You can use a boost pedal to bump the gain up on any gain pedal, what you have to do is be very careful with the volume control on the od unit, set the volume at about 10 o clock on the tube pedal, then turn the mxr on boosting the volume on the mxr until you get your desired sound out of the pedal combination, if there is a noticeable jump in volume from turning the mxr on and off, turn the volume on the od down even more.

Let me know if this works, it works find on all the ss od pedal's I've tried, should be fine on tubes unless you run out of headroom on the whole circuit.

Enjoy

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hey Tayste, thanks for your reply :)

Well, I don't have an overdrive pedal or anything like that, I just want to get the overdrive tone out of my tube preamp by overdriving the tubes.

So basically I just kinda wanted to know if it was possible at all to overdrive the tubes with the MXR Boost without the overall volume going completely loud.

Hope you understand ;)

5. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh nevermind the above post. I just didn't read what you wrote carefully enough :)

Running to the store today to borrow a MXR then.

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Just recieved the pedal yesterday and have to say; that's the wildest, most growly overdrive I have ever heard on my rig before. It works like a charm! Although the pedal is pretty hot, but I guess thats how tubes work :)

Thanks for ur help mate, that booster made my day :smug:

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Glad I could be of service :bassist: