Gain Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Aug 29, 2002.

1. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    My Workingman 4004 head manual says turning up the gain past the max clipping for your EQ settings( when the red light turns on) sends a near DC signal to the amp which can damage the speaker. Is this a serious problem or just a minor required warning cause I like the sound when I turn on too much gain.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah, it can cause damage to the speaker. Are you looking to achieve some sort of distorted tone?
  3. If they actually said it sends a "near DC signal" to the speakers, they're wrong. The only amps that produce anything like DC are broken ones. I'm not going to get into that here though.... :D. Whether or not the clipping will damage your speaker depends on a couple of things. Clipping in and of its self doesn't damage speakers, too much power damages speakers. So if you have a cab that is rated for a lot more than the amp's power rating, you could probably clip the amp and not worry too much about it. If your speaker has close to the same power rating as the head, clipping the amp could damage it because of a couple of things. When the amp clips it produces more than its rated power and clipped waveforms also have a little more energy than clean ones. So if the cab is rated for the same amount of power as the amp, clipping the amp will result in more power being sent to the speaker than it can dissipate. This is what damages speakers. This is a bit of an oversimplification, of course. I'd guess that running a SS amp way into distortion could cause the amp to overheat and shut down though.... Also SS don't tend to sound very good when driven like that.
    I wouldn't reccommend doing this! If you want distortion, you'd be much better off with a distortion pedal.
    Hope this made sense:D
  4. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    it made clear sense. thx. O and I ajusted the EQs so it sounds somewhat distorted still and out of the red so now I got no worries.