Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gain structure question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scottgun, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've got a Sunn 300T running into a Aggie GS212. I've heard many people say that it is better to max your master volume knob and then adjust to desired volume with the input. Good advice or no?

Scott

2. It really depends on what signal to noise ratio is acceptable to you and your ears. If your "pre" section is feeding too much noise to the "post" you'll often get some unwanted sound artifacts (a slight hum usually). I do run my set-up like you listed above. Others might do it differently. Different strokes for different folks. I have pretty hot pick-ups so it doesn't take too much on the "pre" end for me. I change the settings in certain rooms sometimes as well. Different basses need different adjustments too. Darnit! It's all subjective!

:D

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I always set the gain as high as possible without overload and then adjust the volume. Most amp manuals I have read recommend this.

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I do the same. The opposite would give you a very inconsistent tone. One day you might be super smooth and deep, the next you have to increase the gain and become distorted.