gaining weight/muscle mass help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    for all you body builder types:

i'm 5'8" and i weigh about 120 pounds. i would like to gain muscle mass (but i dont wana look like the schwarz). soo..

-what should i be eating more of? what should i not be eating?

-since the gym is expensive and i have no room for one of those compact home gyms, can i get good results from using just dumbells to workout? are there good routines someone can fill me in on since i know nothing about this stuff?

anymore tips or dos/donts would be greatly appreciated. i looked all over the internet for stuff like this but nothing was helpful.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok, here man.
    if you do not eat, i guarantee that after a while, you will loose muscle. muscle really needs nutrients, so if you do not eat the muscle will feed off of it self. try to eat a little bit of everything. try to stay away from carbs, but you don't have to not eat any at all though.
    one thing that you should do, is to eat whatever you want. just in smaller amounts. portion. instead of eating a whole bag of chips, have a handfull, that works. try to stay away from drinking a whole lot of coke though man.

i'd reccomend going to a gym. especially with a friend. you would see results with just a few dumbells though, but not as much. if you went to the gym with, or just even without a friend, you could get spotted. maxing out is a key to building muscle, and getting stronger, and you can't really max out on bench by yourself.

what i do, is try to workout all of my upper body monday, wednesday, and friday. lower body, tuesday and thursday. and have saturday and sunday off.
    if you don't give yourself a day of rest inbetween each exercise (ex. benching 2-3 days in a row) you will get weaker, just by overworking and tiring your muscles.
    do 3 sets of about 10 of each exercise too.

one exercise that i do, will work your bicepts and tricepts like no other man. on the machine (with the cable and the weights), hook one for either tricepts or bicepts on it, and start on your max. i start at about 100 or 120, and do 10 reps of each 10 pounds down to 20.
    10 reps of 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20. if you do that, you will have worked it enough for the whole day. it's called a pyramid.

and good luck man.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I decided to get myself into shape this past summer. I decided to focus on exercise and diet. I try to make sure that I get my daily supply of protein, calcium, vitamins, and fiber - I don't really know what else I should be making sure to get plenty of. I eat lots of real food at every meal and I don't get hungry enough to snack between meals. I try to not to conmsume an excesive amount of calories. They only strength training I've been doing has been push ups, sit ups, standing arm curls with dumb bells and a few other exercises that can be done with the dumb bells. I also jump rope and hike. I try to do something everyday, but really probably only work out 2 to 4 times per week. I've been very pleased with my results. I lost the beer gut - I lost over 3 inches on my waist, but neither gained nor lost any weight. I can see an increase in muscle mass on my chest, biceps, triceps, abs and legs. You don't need any fancy equipment. Before I decided to spring for a set of dumb bells, I was doing basically thet same work outs except I would walk to the park and do pull ups on the jungle gym rather than the standing arm curls with weights. It is my opinion that you can get in excelent shape and tone pretty much every muscle in your body without ever spending a dime. All that you need is desire and the only answers to a stronger healthier better looking body are diet and exercise.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not that well versed in this stuff, but I do know a little.

From what I understand, whey protein is a good way to gain mass, more so than soy proteins.

If you start taking a whey supplement 2-3 times a day(morning, after work out, and night) you will likely wield good results.

A common misconception about weight training and stuff is that you need a lot of equipment and to 'go to the gym'

you pretty much have everything you need built in to your body.

The workouts I do mostly are Tendon Workouts, they don't exactly add MASS, but they do add noticeable strength.

That's another thing people often do, they only work their muscles, and never their tendons, then they end up with sore joints and stuff, and their muscles become bottlenecked by having weak tendons .

From what I understand, Muscle mass is gained from when you work out, your muscle fibers break up from the stress, then your body rebuilds them, and as with everything your body rebuilds everything it rebuilds, it rebuilds the fibers with greater density, protein is important here, as it is what helps rebuild your muscle fibers faster and with more density.

With that in mind, it's important to not tear your muscles fibers apart too much, or they won't heal(or they won't heal right) I have heard conflicting opinions on this, but the two primary schools of thought I've heard are that you can get all the mass you want from sparse but intense workout sessions, or that the best way is to have consistent but lighter and more frequent workout throughout the week.

I'm not sure which is more effective, but I think it's one of those things that might differ from case to case.

umm...I'm not a bodybuilder, I just have friends who are, and some things brush past my ears from time to time, I know there are more experienced and knowledgeable cats here, and they will likely chime and correct whatever I may have said that is false, so nya! :p

edit: one thing that is pivotally important with any exertion of energy by the body, it is *very* important to stretch and encompass your bodies full range of motion before you work out(or do anything physically taxing)
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    After reading WR's post I'd like to add that I believe in stretching after I work out. There is new thinking that stretching cold muscles (before a work out) may be ineffective and more likely to cause strain or injury than not stretching at all. There is still debate about that and FWIW - I still do a light stretch before working out. I stretch a little more intensly and thoroughly after I work out and I believe it helps with sore muscles and possibly helps to strengthen joints and tendons, and makes for a nice cool down.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ya, I have heard both sides of the argument, and I agree, that a light stretch before and heavier stretch afterward is probably the best.
  7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thanks for the speedy replies.

i do want to avoid going to the gym as much as possible just because i cant afford it right now. if i can get good results with doing things like pushups and dumbell exercises than i'd rather do that and save the money. would it work?

which muscles do pushups workout? i cant seem to remember.

i think another problem is my diet. i noticed that i eat ALOT of pasta. are too many carbs bad for what i want to achieve? what are some good, quick things i can eat instead?
  8. im thinkin about getting a bench press. does anyone else have one and are they worth it?
  9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    weights at home could probably just help you with the major muscles, mostly in the arms. chest, bicepts, tricepts, abs. but it won't be as effective as the gym. but if you do the right exercises you can become pretty ripped (not that i am though :p;))
  10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    what would the right exercises be?

and also what are some good leg exercises because i dont want to neglect that area.

i ask alot of questions.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    you can get some serious muscle mass but watching certain types of films, and uh... acting like your spider monkey ancestors...

well, serious muscle in one arm... unless your amphibious... or hampsterdextrious.... or whatever... then you can get serious muscle in both arms.
  12. they dont use weights in the marines, so a way to into great shape is to run at least 5 times a week, then 3 times a week do a lot of excercises that involve lifting your own body weight, such as pushups, pullups, crunches, leg lifts, etc. If it's good enough for the marines, it's good enough for me.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's what I was saying about how you have a gym inside your body.

you don't necessarily need all sorts of equipment, or a gym, to get in shape, and to gain muscle mass.
  14. About stretching...

I believe that stretching before you start working out is not too effective. My reason for this is try to take a piece of hard angle hair spaghetti, try to bend it befor you cook it and it breaks. After you cook it for a minute or two it is more flexible and able to bend.
    With that in mind it doesn't make too much sense to me to stretch right before you workout. Instead i do it just after i have a light warm-up session of either a light jog or a few minutes on a stationary (or non stationary) bicycle. I find it easier to strech loose and warmed up muscle then tight or cold muscles. And of course i do some good amount of streching after the workout too.

Just my opinion.
  15. since no one really told you what you can do with dumbells here is what i do:

DB Bench
    DB Incline
    Shoulder Combo (Straight up 10, out to side ect.)
    DB rows

and a lot more
    PM me if you want more info on every exercise
  16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thanks for all the help everyone! i'll update soon with my progress.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Another thing about weight training is, that you usually see the most results right off the bat, but then you will hit a point where you will hardly notice any results, and change will start coming slowly.

but don't get discouraged and stop, or all your gain will be for naught, just keep at it.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For legs...........leg press and squats will give you size. Then you want to do lunges with weights, leg extensions, and leg curls to help with definition and size. Don't forget about your calves.

Check out this site: Muscle and Fitness. Excellent source of info on everything muscle related.

You have received alot of advice already, and it is all great. Do yourself a BIG favor, and educate yourself thoroughly before you start a program. You have to train smart, train right. It has to be a life commitment, not a few months. Stay determined, and disciplined, and you will succeed. I wish you success.

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    To gain mass, eat starch. A favorite of mine is pasta. Lots of starch and protien will help you gain muscle and mass. I'm 6" even, 220 lbs, mostly muscle (but a bit chunky here and there). As long as you balance it with the rest of the food groups (VEGGIES AND FRUITS ARE IMPORTANT), and good exercise (a mix of power/weight training and flexability/cardiovascular), you'll be good. I lift on monday, wednesday, and friday, do cardio on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and rest on sundays. It works well.
  20. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not knocking your method Steve, but in my experience and my observations, pyramid building is more for size, not strength and stamina. To me, strength and stamina are more important, so I don't do pyramid exercises. Example:

A United States Marine compared to a professional body builder. The marine will be faster, more dexterous, and have more stamina than the builder. That is pretty much the difference between pyramid building and regular weight workouts. Body building IS NOT the same as weight training.

That all said, if the results that MO is looking for is body builder type size, then by all means, do a pyramid. Me personally, thats not what I try to do when I lift.