Galactic - Ruckus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KB, Oct 6, 2003.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Any other Galactic fans out there? Their new CD called Ruckus comes out on Tuesday. I've had a chance to hear a preview and its really good (kind of a modern slow funk). I've seen them live a couple of times and really dig it.

Robert Mercurio gets some more up front presence and gets some nice tone with his P. He seems to use a lot more effects (synth and stuff) on this album too, but it really works.

I just want to know if anyone else is into Galactic.

2. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    i also heard that preview, and galactic is the ****.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I really get into their "swamp new orleans funk".

Stanton Moore is also one of my favorite drummers (I like his solo CDs and his work with Garage A Tois).

I plan to pick up Ruckus asap.
  4. I like Galactic a lot. I saw them in concert once and didn't like it as much as their live album I have. But Stanton Moore is just amazing in everything he does. The bass player doesn't have much space to work with as a result. He never does anything super-cool, but it's pretty hard to imagine what else to do. He definitely holds it down and the band is funky.
  5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I've seen galactic live and they groove! stanton Moore is a total hoot! They perform "shibuya" on the bonnaroo 2002 dvd, and it's excellant. they also do "tiger roll" over the ending credits

I haven't heard anything from ruckus, but it was pretty much panned in a review on

what's your review?
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The album is different than their previous work. It has more of a slow groove that shows the evolution of the band. It has more of an electronic/groove/trip hop/funk vibe to it which is a welcome sound. It seems to focus more on the groove than on solos.

I think Galactic is on the cutting edge of the jazz/funk/jam band scene.

7. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm listening to the CD right now and it's really good.

I'm a huge galactic fan... I've seen them around 70 times, have hung out with them, am on the discussion lists, have a ton of shows on disc. So, I know them inside and out.

They are on tour right now and it's definitely worth catching them. Check out the tourdates at Also, there's a short story on Mercurio in the BP with Wooten on the cover. I think it's this month's. He uses a '63 P with Dean Markley flatwounds, a small stone, a tube screamer, an EH microsynth, and ampeg amps. He's used different effects in the past, but that's what it said in the BP story.

They are an interesting band in so many ways and really worth checking out. I want to respond to your posts, though:

1) Rob Mercurio doesn't have much to work with: that is true and he says it in the BP story. However, he's really good at holding it down and callling the changes and directing the band. And he's written a lot of the songs based on those bass lines. He and the guitarist are both from DC and formed the band together. He plays very simple stuff, but it's all about his attack and approach and how consistent and driving he is in the live setting.

2) Stanton is the ****: he really is. Both of his solo albums are great as is the new Garage A Trois CD (Stanton, Skerik, Charlie Hunter, and Mike Dillon). Still, all of Galactic is great and they tend to shine differently from show to show. There always seems to be a standout performer. In some shows, the guitarist doesn't seem to be doing much and you wonder if he's even into it. The next night, though, he'll own the show. It's like that with all bands, I know, but it can be pretty dramatic with them.

3) the live album is better than their live shows: Well, that may be your experience, but they can be really great. No joke. Some of the best stuff ever. The live album is good, but like all live albums, it's not as good as their best stuff.

4) the new CD. It's not as funky as a lot of their stuff. They are a band that went from being a meters cover band to more of a rock/blues band to a space funk band and now they're getting more into the hip hop groove. With this CD it's a lot sparser and they brought in producer Dan the Automator Nakamura who has done a lot of hip hop production. So, if you get this CD, it's good, but just a taste of what they do live.

5) check 'em out now: You can hear one of their best shows ever on Go to: and listen to the 6/22/03 show. All kinds of guests: North Mississippi Allstars, Skerik, Les Claypool, Kang, Robert Randolph, Lil Rascal's Brass Band, Eric Krasno, and DJ Logic.

Long post... we love 'em tonight.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Galactic is an awesome band. I saw them earlier this year with MMW and they took the show although MMW is one of my favorites! Just when you think they cant pick it up any more they do. Rob on bass really gives everything a good feel.
  9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    If you can sample any tracks on, listen to Mercamon... very good bass work.