Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galanti Bass Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Feb 6, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I've borrowed an old amp from a friend, I think it can be from the 70's. It has a vintage look, and I think the logo says "galanti". Has anyone heard of this ? Is it any good?

It's not working too well tho, I think it might need new tubes or something, 'cause it's REALLY noisy, and it changes it's volume sporadicly. I have to beat it really hard - then I can hear it has sounded good once, and can sound good again...

I just don't wanna waste any money on new tubes if it's not any good.

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi, Sir hoel!

My very first amp was a Galanti m.bass30 plus speakerbox, formerly my older brother's! The thing had one "great" feature: The amp was attached to the box' top, and the latter you could unscrew to turn it upside down so the amp would be safe inside the box for transport. There were only three knobs for the sound; bass, treble and volume. Like its name suggests, it had 30 Watts (tube!) power. A good sounding amp to start start off with (as long as your drummer's not too loud). Those amps were built in Italy in the early '70s. Apart from my one, I've only seen one more a few years ago 2nd hand in a music store.

Mine was actually not too bad in regards to noise, but unfortunately it had blue smoke coming out of it one day. I gave it to a friend's friend to have it repaired - What I got back was a completely different amp, based on transistors, too! But at least, it now had an additional pre-amp volume knob. And back then (= around '87) I was glad to have an amp at all. After a while though, it started to play up again, like all of a sudden there was no more sound and you had to either give it a good whack or switch it off and back on again (after which it had a different sound, too!). And typical, during our band's rehearsal for our first real gig and in front of all our friends , the amp died. Well I guess better then than during the actual concert ;)

One thing I'll always remember about that amp: My older brother playing through it when it was still his, using a spiral cord, and all of a sudden there was "You Take Me To The Top" by Loverboy coming out of the speaker!:D

3. Amsterbelg

Amsterbelg

Mar 5, 2013
    I tried a Galanti M Bass 30 (m.bass30) yesterday. It looked good and had a very warm sound at low volume levels, but when you turn the volume up half way, it's all distorted already.
    It just doesn't have enough power, even for a 30W 1/2tube amp, it's too weak. I didn't buy the amp (the guy wanted 200 euros for it!).