Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Anybody out there familiar with a band called "Galatic"? I just bought their CD "Coolin Off" and I love it! Bass player Robert Mercurio is great. He doesn't play anything difficult but the simplicity of his lines are perfect. I don't know what he plays (sounds like a P-bass), but it has a great fat sound. I highly recommend this band to anyone who likes 2-finger funk grooves and highly simplified bass lines.
  2. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Galactic is definately tight. In the bass player where they have different players rig's it has a little thing on him. He does use an old p-bass
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just got the new Galactic album "Late for the Future" and it is pretty good - I mean I wouldn't single out the bass player, but the overall feel is very funky and loose in a kind of "Little Feat" way. I like all the vocal tracks and the instrumentals are also imaginative - there just isn't anything like this "scene" in the UK and I think it's a shame as I'd really like to play in a band like this - somewhere between funk, soul and jazz with some rock influences.

Just found their website as well :

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 02-06-2001 at 10:38 AM]
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Here's a pic from their gig at London's Jazz Cafe last November :

5. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    damn, that hammond organ is huge!
  6. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Galactic is a pretty cool band, but if you like really tight funk on the verge of jazz, check out the Greyboy Allstars. ( ) Fantastic stuff!
  7. Wow! I just looked them up in Yahoo! Music and listened to some samples. Thats sweet. I used to hate this kind of music
    (I never liked brass instruments) but now I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to go buy their CD.
  8. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA

Glad you liked it! Isn't funny how you always get a certain sense of satisfaction from turning other people onto obscure bands you really like? :) Anyway, they've got three albums, two studio, one live, and you can't go wrong with any of them.
  9. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I had the opportunity to see Galactic in concert over the summer. They put on a terrific performance and Robert Mercurio is a fantastic bassist. :)
  10. herb

Mar 23, 2000
    Yes, I saw them recently at the Fillmore in Denver. They jam and the bassist's solid. Col. Les Claypool opened for them and it was awsome. I was lucky enough to be at the front of the stage the whole show. Anyway, Galactic was playing and Les joined in to jam. Everyone had a turn doing solos. Les played this crazy solo that got the crowd hyped. Then Les turned to Galactic's bassist(don't know name) for his solo. I tell ya I could physically see the fear in this kid's eyes. He was young, I'm 23, not that old, he didn't look that much older. But I could imagine, being a young bassist, the fear of following Les' solo, in front of a packed crowed. I think I had a nightmare about it that night! But he pulled off a bluesy solo and they had the crowd in such a good mood that he could have played the bass line to "Highway to Hell" as a solo and everyone would have loved it. That's what kind of band they are. Anyway, what would you have done, right?
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah, Galactic are now touring with Claypool (not Primus) for the Snocore, i think (there´s a banner in the official page).

btw: which are your fave galactic songs...just to check them out.
  12. Some cool Galactic tunes to Chgeck out: CrazyHorse Mongoose, Love on the Run, Go Go. Funky Bird...Sometimes the guy uses a Boss SYB-3(bass synth pedal)...He lays it down really simple, but his lines work wonderfully.