Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galien Krueger 800RB? Need opinions, low price.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Alright a guy at Guitar Center is gonna let it go for 299.00. I played it today and like it for the most part. It's way ahead of what I'm using now. What do you guys think? Is it a steal or is the guy getting rid of some junk?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Great amp. Sounds like a reasonable price. Last one on EBay went for $335. You'll pay tax, he paid freight. There is one up for sale now with a few days left. The GK 800 coupled with a good cab is a seriously nice rig. I would probably jump on that if you are in the market.

3. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    800rb + ampeg 8x10 + sansamp di = gold

that's a very reasonable price for the best (IMO) solid state amp out there.

4. Well I've got an Ampeg 6x10, (Galien Krueger 800 RB), and I do own a Sans Amp. So you're tellin me that'll work pretty well huh? :bassist:

5. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I used one for years in a rock band with a 2x15. Always sounded good and never caused any trouble. I'd say it's a bargain if it's in decent shape.

dunc

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I played a GK 800 for 10 years. it's a great amp. $300 is a decent price if everything is working properly.

FYI... The higher powered amp section is rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms. So, if you want full power, you should use a 4 ohm cab. I'm guessing that you'll only get 150 to 200 watts with an 8 ohm cab. If the 6X10 cab is 4 ohms, you'll get the full 300 watts and be able to kick some butt.

7. Don't forget the biamp feature. The 100W section and the crossover were put in to let you use a good low frequency cabinet like a 2x15, and the 100 watt section with a "midrange" unit. It's a design that's about 20 years old, but was way ahead of it's time. Most of the used ones that I've seen have been in the $350 range. As long as GC will give you some kind of warantee on it I think that's an excellent deal.

8. Well it brand new, it's not used. It's just been in the store for forever and I think I'm the first person to ask about it. From what I saw, heard, and played with there was only one problem with it. One of the knobs made a slight crackle. I asked the salesman about it, he said it was probably a bad pot. It was priced at $695. After I asked him about it and asked if I was buying the display model or one from the back he told me I would be buying the one I was playing (the display model). I asked if they'd fix the knob, he said hold on, and offered it for $299. What do you think. I believe my cab has the ohm switch thing on the back. So I should get all the power I want out of it. Right?

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    JUMP ON THAT DEAL! Even if your cab is 8 ohms, an 800 will be loud loud loud for its relatively low power spec. Many a pro has used an 800 powering a 410 with great success. I have a 400RB that powers my Eden 410XLT amazingly well with 120 8 ohm watts. I use it for the practice rig, where we are frequently louder than at the gig.

I wouldn't worry about the scratchy pot/knob. It may scratch when you adjust it, but you rarely can adjust and play at the same time. You may even be able to get rid of the noise by spraying some contact cleaner into it. The noise may go away with some frequent use. At that price, its a VERY good bargin.

10. Sweet, thanks. One of my guitar players is an electrical engineer. He frequently repairs his Marshall and stuff so I'm sure he could fix it up. Preesh.

11. all you need to do is squirt a little tuner cleaner from Radio Shack inside the pot. I'm sure your buddy could handle it.