Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galien Krueger head/Peavy Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Aug 28, 2001.

1. my one firend is selling his old bass amp. its a Galien Kruger 200RCB 100watt head. and a Peavy cabinet w/ black widow 18" + 2 8" speakers. he will sell it to me for $500. is this a good deal? right now i have a Crate BX100 by the way.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMHO that is not enough juice to push the 18.

Mike

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think you're right. 100 watts pushing an 18 AND two 8's is not gonna have any headroom.

4. You really need 300 or more for that cab.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You could do better for that much money anyway. Good luck!

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That Cab. is a POS. Ive used 'em.
    The only cab in the world that has two 8's, an 18,
    and no highs or lows, just a bunch of mid junk.
    The single worst cab I've ever played through.

The 200 RCB however, is the best thing GK ever made. IMHO. I have one and love it. It's suitable for practice and small acoustic gigs but it's main value is as a preamp.
    It has one of the most user freindly, transparent sounding compressors I've ever run into and the chorus sounds great for slap or faking fretless lines.
    D.I. sounds great.

Come out of the balanced out mono into a power amp and it kills.

If you can get the RCB for $150 (that's all its worth, people don't realize it's a great preamp)
    I'd be all over it.

7. ok thanks for your help everyone. i think i will pass on the offer. i am tight on money right now as it is. i need to save money for a car.