1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Galien-Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ravens123000, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Ravens123000

Ravens123000 Guest

Jul 23, 2001
    Baltimore
    Hi guys-
    Well, I'm getting back into it after all these years.
    Any comments on GK -- cabs and heads. I'm doing fairly pop-oriented stuff with Ibanez SR and BTB basses. Venues are 800-2000 seats -- looking for a clear, punchy sound that can cut through. Also, anyone using a 210/115 rig? I'm from the old days -- big, big stuff.
    Any comments from your scholars is much appreciated.

2. Ravens123000

Ravens123000 Guest

Jul 23, 2001
    Baltimore
    ...that is, YOU scholars. Sorry.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i like gks, and i'm sure there would be enough power with the higher watt ones.

4. How about Eden or SWR? They seem to have satisfied many people here. Plus GK's are (sometimes) prone to technical difficulties.

5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i like GK. there have been reports of reliability problems on this board and in my own experience. but, assuming you get one that's not messed up (which is more likely than not), i think the tone is great - punchy, fast, clean, articulate - yeah man, i like GK. the only thing is that they don't have a whole lotta warmth, i guess because there are no tubes involved. but if you run thru any effects or a BBE or something, that becomes less of an issue.

i think GK heads are really nice, and good buys for the $. i believe you can get better cabs than GK though - especially for the money you pay for a GK 410 rbh! (900 bux going price) check out eden/swr/aguilar/bag end/ebs/EA/ampeg cabs.

it sounds like GK would suite the style you're playing pretty well.

i almost bought a GK rig, but i ended up with SWR - the warmth hooked me. especially with the 8x8 cab (who knows, it's just the way i hear it).

6. I like GK. Infact, I dumped my SVT for GK a number of years ago. They're solid amps with a lot of power and very quick response. I can't tell you anything about GK speaker cabs because I use EV 215's, but their amps are legend.

7. A local bands bassist in town we play with uses GK's and I have to admit I am sometimes jealous.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    GK heads rock!!!

GK cabs are legendary? I haven't had much experience with them, but the people who I've talked to who have say they aren't very good.

9. Read it again Estring...

"I can't tell you anything about GK speaker cabs because I use EV 215's, but their amps are legend."

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Oh, duh! I'm stupid!

I guess I'm free to say their cabs suck now. They were was too trebly and clicky for me, even with the horn off, but if you like Fieldy, maybe that's a good thing.

11. Ravens123000

Ravens123000 Guest

Jul 23, 2001
    Baltimore
    Thanks, all, for weighing in. Very helpful. Now, are GK reliability problems fairly well documented or more conjecture/rumor? Can anyone who uses/used them give some feedback? Appreciate it...
    Hey Mud...what do you mean re: "very quick response?" Thanks...

12. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i was in mars music once, and the guy who worked there pulled out a 400rb for somebody to try out. it was fresh outta the box, and it was totally screwed - it just made a buzzing noise. then he pulled out another, and it was fine - sounded like the acclaimed kick-ass GK tone. that's the only messed up GK i've ever seen though.

there was a thread about GK reliability on here awhile back. do a site search to find the thread.

the response on GK's is really 'fast'. hard to explain that, but when you play one, you sort of get it. as soon as you do something, the sound is in the air. no 'lag'. i dunno what else to say but that.

13. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I was once at the Sunset Boulevard Guitar Center in Hollywood checking out a Gallien Krueger 800RB hooked up to an Ampeg SVT-410HLF, and it wasn't working properly; the sound kept fading in and out.
    I was going to just switch to another amp, but as it turned out Bob Gallien was in the room and took a look at the amp for me. Apparently, the input jack was loose, the amp having sustained much abuse after being on the Guitar Center showroom floor for a few years, as indicated by the two or three knobs that had been ripped off its face. Mr. Gallien immediately notified a Guitar Center salesperson of the defect and told him that Gallien-Krueger would send over a replacement. In the mean time, Mr. Gallien suggested they replace this one with a new one from the back. The salesperson took note of this and took the worn, broken 800RB to the back.
    Mr. Gallien and one of his associates happened to be in the store doing one of their quality associations. They told me they were heading to stores all over the country to inspect their equipment to make sure it was all in working order.

Later, after Mr. Gallien had completed his inspection and left, the Guitar Center salesperson whom he had talked to before came back with the broken 800RB in hand and returned it to its position atop the Ampeg speaker cabinet, as if nothing had happened.

14. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    that is what i am planning on getting,
    the 800rb with a 4x10hlf

anyone with this setup or played or heard it?

15. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    A couple of years ago I upgraded my gear to a Walter Woods head and Euphonic Audio cabs but I still have my 18 year old GK800Rb. I've only had to take it in for repairs twice in those 18 years. It has been incredibly reliable and when I had to play a street fair the other day and didn't want to take the Woods I used the GK and an old Eden 210T on a blues gig and it still sounded terrific. They are workhorses and a lot of tours are done with GK backlines and you'll find GK's in most rehearsal studios. To me that says a lot.

16. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have had a GK1001RB head for about a year, and like it fine. It is very powerful, and only weighs 18lbs, as advertised. It's my backup now, but only because I got a bad case of GAS and bought an Avalon U5 plus QSC PLX1602. (Some people like to buy basses, I like to buy amps!)

The GK sound is very clean and clear, almost as clean as the QSC, which has a reputation for very hi-fi sound. On the other hand, I think the bi-amp feature is useless, since I don't use GK cabs, and it adds a lot of hiss when you switch it in. The GK is just a bit hissy when cranked, but I am very fussy about this, and most high-powered amps hiss a bit.

I have used my GK mostly with a Peavey 410TXF cab, one of Peavey's better cabs IMHO. They sound great together. It will also drive my pair of Epifani T-112s to very high volumes.

If you get a 1001RB or 700RB that was made in early 2001, as mine was, check for the "turn off thump/crack" problem. Mine had this, would make a huge noise a few seconds after turn-off, but GK tech support was very helpful. The fix involved a simple replacement of one resistor and one capacitor. Later models don't have this problem.

I have used a rental GK800. IMHO, the 1001RB is a better amp all around. It has more features, better tone controls, a good DI, and is much more powerful. The 800 sounds a bit thin to me in the bottom octave, and has just barely enough power.

17. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I agree with bben. The 800rb only has 300 watts of usable power when not in biamp mode. It served me well but these days if you want a clean sound having more power is definitely the way to go. If you can swing the extra bucks for the extra power it is definitely in your interest; unless, of course, you are just going to be playing low volume music and are trying to keep things portable. Otherwise, go for the power.

18. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I like GK,But I could never get the exact sound I want. It's either to bright or to warm. They PUMP speakers like no other amp I've heard. Good headroom,articulation,and speed.