Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallein krueger vs. SWR vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arose11, Sep 30, 2002.

1. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'm kind of new hear and new to amps but what kind of sound does each brand have, ive heard somtimes ampegs can be muddy etc. i think gallien kruegers are pretty cheap so it would be cool if they were semi decent.

-@Rose:rolleyes:

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's all in your ears. Try each amp before buying if you can and decide for yourself.

I've played GK's and Ampegs and I personnally prefer the ampeg tone. But a lot of people love their Gallien-Kruggers, they sound very good and are very cheap. I still haven't tried the Swr amps but I hear they're very good.

You're talking about three of the best bass amp companies out there, so try them out if you can.

Good Luck!!

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It all depends on the style of music, and the way you want to hear the bass. I play SWR. I play mostly Funk and Jazz, and I want a crystal clear tone, that will cut nicely. If you are more into Rock, or metal, Ampeg would be a good option. They have a low mid presence that has a great punch, and a growly sound. I would say the Gallien Krueger is more neutral sounding. They are warm and full, and have a nice clarity. They are also affordable, though I wouldn't say cheap. It's up to your ears. I can't tell you what will sound good to you!:)

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    New stuff is supposedly coming from GK soon, so watch out for it.
    Otherwise, it depends on which tone you like best.

5. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I just got a GK 400rbIII and I am diggin it...

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I second the 400rbIII! (2X10 combo)

great punch.

I've played one recently and i played some of his bigger brothers but I like this one best! The horn sound really honky on the higher end GK's

but yes it also depends on the tone you're looknig for.