Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallen Kreuger Amp/Combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GroovyJazz, Jan 13, 2002.

1. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    I plugged into one the other day. Its 240 watts and is all one piece. I loved the way it sounded. Not too thuddy but not to trebbly. Does anyone use a GallenKrueger and have any comments on it? I know thats what Ron Carter Uses. Im also thinking of putting a realist in and geting rid of the fishman i got right now. Ok thanks

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Did you use a preamp?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I used to have one; I let it go, but wish I hadn't. I liked it for small gigs on electric, but it worked pretty well for upright too, at least 'til I got a Contra (which is pretty useless for electric bass)...they must be pretty bulletproof, because I still see lots of old ones getting daily use.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have a GK 400RB that I use for Plank gigs, but I never liked the sound of it for DB when I compared it to any other DB amp. Also, for most jazz gigs, that would be way too much amp to carry. YMMV.

5. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    Nah i dont use a preamp. Well, i mean is the contra better than a GK? Sound wise? Ive heard that it can be too thuddy and lack definition. Or is that just crap? The GK 240W is damn heavy. I just want a good sound, ya know? I think the realist might help a little too. Alright Cool

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I used to have the small GK, was happy with it untill I found the Contra with is louder and less metal sounding than the GK, but bulkier and heavier.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The Contra is different than the GK; for me, it's way better, others may disagree. You should be careful when pairing the Contra and the Realist by itself- the tone is very dark to my ears, and I always use a combination of a Realist and an Underwood. I am extremely satisfied with this setup.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This is an excellent point. Dark pickup + dark amp = very little definition. The Realist is a good choice for pairing with a brighter pickup, especially when you have a good preamp/blender to mix the sound with.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Using a plankbass amp w/o a preamp will probably sound crappy for DB. You have to make sure the resistence is pretty high on the input of the amp/preamp.

10. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    What do you mean by plankbass amp? The GK240W has 2 10 inch speakers and the head is built into the amp. um... im really knowledgeless when it comes to pre-amps... and all that other stuff. Alls i know is that i need an amp that will be good for electric fretless and DB and still sound very much like an upright and not too metallic sounding and it needs to be loud enough so people will hear me cuz with my crappy fender bassman 100w right now i sound like crap and most of the time im drown out by the drums. I think that with this GK right now i might sound a little metallic sounding but if I get a realist pickup put on and play through the GK it might sound a little better, cuz ive noticed that fishmans have a tendancy to sound a little like that in the short time that i have played DB. ok cool

Thanks

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just for the sake of reference, how much does this GK cost? If we knew that, we might be able to suggest some alternatives.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    an amp designed for BG. The inputs usually (if not always) have low resistance. That is why you would need a preamp with a ultra-high resistence input if the amp doesn't.

13. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    The GK im looking at right now is about 750$.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    GRAVYJAZZ,

The reason I'm asking is that the amp I'm currently obsessed with for the purpose of doubling (BG & DB) gigs is the EA iamp combo. It's only a 110, but it's an EA 110, which means it can handle and put out a lot more clean sound. I'll have to check the price, but I think it's about $1000 or so. Given what I've heard from EA cabs, and given that I own a GK 400RB head and 2x10 cab, I'd be more inclined to spend a little extra bread and get a better amp that won't need to be upgraded. Let me check and see if I can find what the EA is going for....

15. bassman02004

bassman02004

Feb 20, 2002
    I like to use Pevey, They work great for doubling. I use the P115.It's ownly 120W, but it handles the DB quite nice.

16. When I have to use an amp, I use a GK800RB head along with a home made 12" cabinet. I designed the cabinet with a lid that I can flip open and put the head in, making it the world's heaviest 300W 12" combo amp.

It sounds passable at low volumes, but not warm by any stretch of the imagination. I bought a K&K Power Pack preamp a few weeks ago, but I haven't had the opportunity to mess around with it too much.

Waiting for the new AI Contras :rolleyes:

17. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    for what it's worth, i'm a doubler and here's my setup, and i like the sound of it: i have a realist for my double bass, a 70s reissue fender jazz bass, a GK microbass combo, and an SWR workingman's 2x10, with the tweeter off, if i need a little extra, and no preamps(much too complicated for my simple mind.) if i played one or the other bass, i might have a different setup, but this one works well for both instruments, with variations in the knob tweakings.

BigSpikeBass likes this.
  18. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I use a GK150 & extension cabinet with my upright.It has a Biesle magnetic pickup and preamp.It also works reasonably well with electric but is a little thin.If I am just playing electric I use a GK400RB .The clubs I play are not that big And I generally have a lot of headroom.At lower volumes a Yamaha NE1 bass boost will fatten up the GK150 with an electric.The LR Baggs Para DI is a nice quiet DI with a pre-amp , two notch filters,and 5 bands of eq.Designed for acoustic guitar players but works well with bass.I usually use a 71 fretless Pbass or a regular one (same year).I keep flats on the Fenders but also use a modern Stingray with rounds when I need a more contempory tone.

19. Fran Martini

Fran Martini

Jan 25, 2015
    Hello - I am a total newbie (as in, haven't even had my first lesson!), and this is my first post, so be kind if I do something out of the norm :)

I am starting from scratch, and just had a new 4-string EUB made for me by Jesse at Ergo Instruments (he is fabulous, by the way). I am now looking for amplification, and have pretty specific needs - I will be living on a boat for a few years, so need a combo amp, and the smaller the better. Jesse suggested the GK MB150, and size-wise, this would work beautifully, but that little sucker is around $699! There is another GK, the MB110 that is closer to $350 that I am hoping will do fine for me. I have a LOT of months I will be using this amp just to learn notes, scales, etc., so I don't imagine I will be ready for a gig for quite some time! Are there any big "red-flag" differences that would steer me away from the 110 vs the 150? I have read some reviews here on the forums of the 110, and they are all really favorable, but were mostly posted by BG users.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

~ Fran

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The GK MB150 sounds very different than the newer GK combo amps such as the MB110. This is not necessarily bad though. I have a GK MB112 (the next step up from the MB110), and it is just the thing for an Eminence EUB. I also have an MB150, which I use for double bass. It sounded less than great with the Eminence however.

Fran Martini likes this.