Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallery Hardwoods appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taylor Livingston, May 29, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Alright, so I guess this is kind of silly, but I just wanted to start a thread for everybody who has experience with Gallery Hardwoods to comment on them. I've heard a lot of positive things about them here, which is why I decided to get all the wood for my custom (minus body wood) from them.

I am just blown away at how nice they are. Larry is super-fast to answer e-mails, and really nice. I was going to buy a 1-1/4" thick neck-through blank, because I didn't think I could afford a full 2" blank. I mentioned this to Larry and he gave me the full 2" blank for the same price (and a nice price I might add). I realize that he saved a little shop time by not having to cut it, but to give me nearly twice the wood without a markup is really cool. The wenge is beautiful.

I also got a cocobolo fb and a goncalo alves top. The cocobolo's great, but I was a little disappointed by the top. The one I had wanted had been sold to the Luthier's Access Group. I just e-mailed Larry yesterday that I was thinking about making an exchange for another top, which he said was fine and we discussed what I would get in exchange. He just e-mailed me back saying he found the lumber from which the original set I wanted was cut, and that he'd send the new set to me for free, and I could keep the one I had. I'm thinking about bumping the one I had onto the back.

So, anyway, his generosity and help is greatly appreciated, and I wanted to see if anybody else has anything to say about him or Gallery. I would also like to advise anybody looking for instrument wood to go to Gallery. They have just about everything, are kind, helpful, and really know their stuff. And they will give you quite a deal.

2. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Great Idea conical, and nice to see another new orleanean?? here. You said it right, Larry is a great guy to do business with. Ultra nice guy, who really knows his woods. Very generous too.
    Come to think of it, I think I need to get in touch with him about a body blank. Later

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    We love ya Larry :D

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    GALLERYHARDWOODS = BEST WOOD ON THE PLANET

LARRY DAVIS = BEST GUY AND BEST KNOWLEDGE IN THA WOOD PLANET ;)

Seriously, Larry has HUGE knowledge about woods and he only sells premium stuff at affordable price. He's fast, he's reliable, he's kind...we'll what else can I say???

Thumbs up for ya Larry!!

JP

5. I got a Bubinga body blank and a Maple/Bubinga 7 layer neckthrough blank from Larry @ Gallery Hardwoods. I was going to order just the wood for the neck, but for a reasonable fee they glued up the layers for me and did an excellent job. Very nice wood and great service.
    Highly Recommended! :bassist:

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
  7. Huh, and I get to visit any time I want because his shop is only 5 miles from my house.

Talk about sportin' 'wood'. It's akin to a strip bar.
    :D

He's got some really nice stabilized wood pieces too.

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I spoke with Larry last week, There was a piece that I wanted, but the blank was a smidge too small. Larry is finding an even better blank for my top lamination. I feel that Larry is going above and beyond to meet his customers needs. He's very responsive to my e-mails and has great knowledge in the realm of instrument quality hardwoods. I ordered burled myrtle for the top, and black limba for the body, with a 1/16th" wenge lam for defining the laminations. His prices are very reasonable.......and to boot, he told me that the pieces will come milled to my specs....COOL!!!! What more could you ask for?
    My hat's off to you Larry Davis! Thanks again, Stephen Thopmson

:D

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just ordered this top from Larry, and his was not only friendly but very intelligent and well-informed. The guy knows his woods! Great price, too.

[​IMG]

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Bryan, you mentioned in another thread that that's buckeye, right? Sure doesn't look like the buckeye we're used to seeing! I like it.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah. Larry says that it's from the same tree that buckeye burl comes from, but it came from the log rather that the burl clump, so it doesn't have the inclusions and other problems buckeye normally has. Apparently the figuring doesn't show up in the log part very often.

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I'm ordering a BEAUTIFUL piece of figured koa from him for my new Nordstrand....just a gorgeous top, and at a fair price. I too second that Larry is FAST with getting back to you!
    A tip o' the cap to Larry at GH...

13. Do you guys know what's his email address?
    I filled in an order form on the web site very early this morning, but haven't heard back since. I thought may be I made a mistake typing in my email address, but that's unlikely.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  15. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Already thanked Larry for his great service,personability,and product.We probably talked for 10 minutes and I'm a pretty lame conversationalist.
    I wanted to generally thank this forum as well;It was the recommendations from here that prompted me to go the extra mile for the stabilized birdseye board.

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    BTW,

Gallery Hardwoods is moving thier business location, from Sacramento, to Oregon. Good luck in the move, Larry!

Anyway, give him a break if he's a day or so behind in his emails, & what not... Moving all those wood stores is a PIA.

17. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I had great service from him too although I didn't deal with him. :O) a customer ordered some wood for a top from a bad seller on ebay. I didn't know where he got it from at the time. i recieved the wood and it was cuppped and twisted. Useless! I pointed him to Gallery and He ordered a book matched top set. It was flat even and perfect. I will have to get some of the stabalized wood from him for fingerboards......Tom

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Larry is a very great guy. He's treated my dad and i very well. I've bought the bodies for my so far 3 project basses from him along w/a stabilized black limba fingerboard. Great wood-better than i was imagining and at a price that i can afford. Can't say enough good things. Oh yeah, on top of that-back when i had a guestbook on my project page, he actually took the time to A. go to my site, B. sign the guestbook. I know that might sound cheesy, but hey-he took time and energy to do something that wasn't required. Looks good in my book. With that being said-as i make more basses and decide to use different varieties of wood, i will definately be buying from him. This talk of the neck throughs w/woods that he laminates for you is getting mighty tempting with regards to ideas for my 4th one...... ;) :)

19. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im game... Larry taught me 90% of what I know about wood... very generous with his time... Thanks!!!

20. i've had nothing but great experiences when buying from gallery. they provide excellent customer service.