Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien 2x10 sbx = sealed ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 11, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey guys. I really love the sound of the ampeg 8x10 sealed cab. That is my sound. But, I don't want to move one to gigs. Do the gallien sbx sealed cabs (2x10 in particular) sound like an ampeg 8x10 only smaller or are they way different. I thought of getting a berg 6x10 but that still is a rather big cab to pull through the slush and sleat of Northern Newyork state! :bawl: I would like to get a pair of sealed 2x10's but don't know if anything will sound like the ampeg. Help me out guys. Im still selling my Read Purity preamp by the way.

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Oh yeah, I would like to hear about vented cabs too. I use a grindy sound and never use tweeters. Any small cabs where the speakers at least sound like the ampegs would be a start for me. Do the avatar 2x10's have ample treble and high mids without the tweeter? I was thinking about trying a pair of their NEO 2x10's.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Doesn't anyone have any advice?

4. a sealed 2x10 cab is going to sound WAY different then a sealed 8x10 cab, trust me!!!

if i were you i would consider 2 1x12 cabs, maybe the new gallian krueger 1x12 neos about 30 pounds each, they also have 2x12 1x15 and 4x12.

5. If the sound you're after is an 810, then a 210 definitely won't cut it for you. You should get a 410 at the very least. All of our SBX cabs use the same speaker and are sealed, but because of their size and the number of speakers, they will sound different. Sealed cabinets are generally tighter and warmer than ported cabinets, but the tradeoff is efficiency. If you're playing at a low volume level, then the 210 will be fine.

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks guys. I guess that my question was, is the "TONE" similar to the ampeg 8x10. I don't need the volume. I've been putting a bass cab on each side of the stage and using no p.a. support. I find that i get a better sound like that. I have been using a pair of ashdown 4x10's but even those are no fun to move in the winter. I want a 2x10 cab on each side of the stage. I love the "TONE" of the ampeg 8x10 but don't need the volume or weight. I have a eden d210xlt that I will be trying out but, before I get another one, I wanted to get input from tbr's on the tone of the gallien 2x10 sbx and the avatar 210neo. There are none in my local area to try out before I buy. Those two cabs are also lighter and would be easier to carry than the eden. Any more input would be great. Thanks.

7. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I just purchased a G-K 400rb 2-10 combo and love it. My main
    set up is an SVT-CL and an 8-10. The tone is totally different but the clean tone of the G-K is a nice change and the difference in the weight is huge. You can also put a 15" on the botton of these G-K combos which I have done and it adds some depth that I think you miss in a 2-10 set up. So far I have been very plesed with the tone of this G-K and the customer service has been great everytime I have called with questions. Good luck with your search! :bassist:

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I live in a small area and have to order gear to try it out. It gets very expensive just to try out gear that you could love or hate 5 minutes after it arrives at your house! :scowl: I got an eden d210xlt 2 days ago that I really like but I also just ordered the gallien sbx210 and an avatar neo 2x10. The avatar is on back order for a month. Crap. I was really looking forward to trying that one out.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i just switched from an ampeg 810 to a gk blx410. they sound kinda close. same sort of punch