Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Growl? How Do You Get It?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 27, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just recently purchased a GK 700RB/210 combo. It says in the manual to obtain growl from the woofer speakers to increase the Boost knob while turning down the Woofer Master Volume. I tried this, but the sound coming from the speakers was just as clean as setting the Woofer Master Volume higher and the Boost knob lower! It also seems as though it's impossible to overdrive the Pregain Control. Where's the growl?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Set the master at 12:00 and the boost all the way up. That will give you more growl.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    in my experience, the growl is hardly noticeable at close distance. when i listened to myself from the crowd, i couldn't help but notice it. i get the growl and love it. max the boost- if you want even more, add more gain from the preamp. turn up the power amp as needed. it's not going to be raw distortion, but your woofers individually screaming "i'm a badass!!! i'm a badass!!!" some people like it, some people don't. oh, you should check out the 1000rb, 2000rb, and 2001rb. you want balls, you got balls. the high gain channel is to die for... peace

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    OK, tried what you guys said. I guess I was expecting to hear more distortion in the sound.
    To me it sounds like when the Boost is cranked, it simulates the sound of a lower wattage woofer being driven hard rather than a higher wattage woofer being driven less. More attack and punch to the sound. Does this make sense?

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i don't know about the driver/wattage comment, but the more punch and attack makes sense. it's just adding more gain after the preamp and eq. i honestly have trouble describing the sound. i definitely hear a distinct tonal difference between when the boost is cranked and when it's at or below 12o'clock. it goes from very clean and round to growling more and having a crisp bite (another poor attempt at putting the sound into words). it's too bad i can't just show you what i mean... peace