1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien K 800rb crappy sound when loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cnl83, Mar 25, 2009.

1. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    :eyebrow:Ok, I have a Gallien K 800rb head with a 4x10 Hartke Cab. The rig sounds great at moderate volume, but when I crank it up to play with my band, I get a horrible busted speaker sound. I pulled out all the speakers, and inspected them closely. The speakers are in good condition. I changed the battery in my bass, adjusted every single knob and that crappy noise still exist. Its like I cant get it loud without thinking my speakers are busted, but they are not. Is it my amp? or my cab?

frustrated!

p.s. no pedals, straight into the amp.

2. Which Hartke 410?

3. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    xl series

4. That combo should be fine. 200 watts coming out of the 800RB at 8 ohms (300 at 4 ohms), and the 8 ohm cab handles 400 watts.

How loud are you cranking it? Where are you setting the vol knob? Where are the EQs set?

5. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    try setting the amp on a solid surface like the floor(basically not the speaker cab) and see if the problem goes away. if so its being caused by the vibrations not just volume levels. my gk800rb did the same thing and i found a bad solder joint near the input jack. i don't remember if it was the jack connections or not but i know it was right at the jack location on the circuit board.

6. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Turn the boost knob off and see it it makes a difference.

7. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    +1

8. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    So we found that one speaker is shot. In addition we realized that I was plugged into the 4 ohm port instead of the 8ohm. When we plugged into the 8ohm, you could see sparks. We opened it up, and the 8ohm resisters and board was black and burnt. So im playing through the 4 ohm port. Damn AMP!

9. The 8&#937; port is ONLY for tweeters and nothing else! The main reason for failure in these amps is people not reading the manual and plugging <8&#937; speakers into the High amp.

There is nothing wrong with the amp (well there is NOW) it's user error.

Paul

10. Another thought, don't run the amp with the high amp unrepaired. It will lead to trouble down the road.

Paul

11. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I bought this used, and dont have a manual. When the port says 8 OHM, and my cab is 8 OHM, then I figured thats where I plug up. So im plugging the 8 OHM cab into the 4 OHM ports. I dont have another amp, and I have a gig, so im just going to have to use it that way for now.

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Cnl,
    I've been runnning a G.K. 800 for over 25 + years without a single hitch.
    You can run a single 8 ohm cab into the high end amp, full range or bi-amped, and it'll give you 100 watts into that cab. Any lower ohm cab, (4 or lower), will blow the 100 watt power section. Also, 100 watts full range will not go very far in a loud or bass heavy band. You'll get distortion and will probably blow a speaker when you push that 100 watts to it's limits.
    The low-end amp, (bottom 1/4" inputs), is 200 watts into 8 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms. It can be run full range or for the low end in bi-amp mode.
    I've always ran mine in full range with a 4 ohm cabinet from the 300 watt power section.
    In the past I ran this head full range into a 4 ohm SVT 810 cabinet, and now I run it into a 4 ohm Avatar 115H cabinet.
    It's always been loud, full, and clear.
    I bought my G.K. 800 new in 1984 and placed it in a rack with a fan on the back cooling fins.
    It's never went down....never been in a repair shop.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Exactly right. You can plug an 8 ohm or higher cabinet into the 8 ohm, 100 watt amp, output and should have no problem with the 100 watt amp blowing because of that.

It's possible that there was a short in your cabinet or speaker connections that caused the 100 watt amp to blow. Or you pushed it too hard beyond its 100 watt capabilities or it failed because of something else.

I haven't heard that using the 300 watt at 4 ohm amp with the 100 watt amp not repaired will cause problems down the road. I know others have done it and not reported problems. It's probably best to contact GK and ask about this and about where you can take your 800 RB for repair.

Using your repaired 8 ohm cabinet in the 300 watt amp should be fine. Lots of people use the amp that way, although you only can get about 180 watts or so from it. Pretty big sounding 180 watts though and will drive any efficient 8 ohm cabinet to an uncomfortably loud volume. That's enough for a lot of players in small rooms.

You can download the user's manual from the GK website.

14. I just had a 800rb head given to me, it powers up but there isn't an output. Is there a way I could check/fix it myself without having to send it off to GK. The tech I first talked to loved this head and it is his favorite head to play on (also a bass player) I woudl like to bring it back to life.

I opened it up myself and was like HUH when I looked inside so me fixing it might not be feasable.

Step one would be checking BOTH outputs to make sure BOTH are not sending out any signel.

I play with 2 guitarist, one has a Marshall Half Stack and the other a Hartke Stack and I want to get this head working so I can actually play WITH them and not behind them..

any recommendations on the bext cab combo for this head that won't break the bank?

15. Not true. It's perfectly fine to plug any kind of 8ohm speaker into those jacks. I've done it for years, and the manual doesn't say otherwise.

16. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    others covered what i asked before i could get it posted.

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Correct, I've been doing this since 1988...

18. Then I stand, or rather sit corrected. My understanding was what I posted. I will have to get mine rebuilt and back to a working state. Winter project I think. I have repaired a few of these amps, all but one a blown high amp.

Paul

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Bassman,
    I think what the problem was the early G.K. 800's had two 1/4" inputs on the back for the high-end amp. People thought they could plug "two" 8 ohm cabs in and blew the power section by having a 4 ohm load.
    The newer 800's went to a single 1/4" jack for the 8 ohm high-end amp.