Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Kreuger EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rush1988, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    Hello,

I was just wondering how some of you set up your GK to get great tone, I have a 400RBIII 2x10 combo and haven't found the tone i am looking for yet.

Contour

Presence

Treble

Hi Mid

Lo Mid

Bass

Master

Volume

Boost

Thanks,
    Mike

2. I'm afraid that's not going to help you...:D

3. Here's my settings generally.

4/5 string in

Contour 12 oclock

Presence off

Treble 9 oclock

Hi Mid 10 oclock

Lo Mid 12 oclock

Bass 12 or 1 oclock

Master whatever

Volume 12 oclock

Boost 2 oclock

The eq's 12 oclock settings are definitely on the bright side where I generally prefer a warmer tone but with definition. when scoped, the settings I just gave you are more or less flat with a slight bump down around 80hz with the deep switch out, or a shelf boost starting at 80hz with the deep switch in.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Dan,

I think that's 1:00pm in France. :rolleyes:

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I ran a 1001rb into an Eden 2-10XLT for a few years. It has the same preamp as your head. My settings for funk and R & B:

4/5 string - out (and when playing my 5 strings too! go figure)

Contour - 12 to 1 o'clock

Presence - 12 o'clock

Treble - 12 o'clock

Hi Mid - 12 to 1 o'clock

Lo Mid - 12 o'clock

Bass - 1 to 2 o'clock

Master volume - 3 o'clock to maxxed out

Volume 12 oclock

Boost 9 to 10 o'clock

6. I run a 1001RB set like this:

4/5 string - in

Contour - 12 o'clock

Presence - off

Treble - 12 o'clock

Hi Mid - 12 to 1 o'clock

Lo Mid - 1 to 2 o'clock

Bass - 1 to 2 o'clock

Master volume - 3 o'clock

Volume - to whatever's needed

Boost - 12 o'clock

Good to see that I'm not the only one running this amp fairly flat. It sounds so good that you don't HAVE to tweak the hell out of it.

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Does anyone know the frequency centers of these controls? I have been running mine with an outboard EQ that I had in line from another amp setup. I would like to get rid of the extra piece of gear, but it would be nice to know what I am working with.

Another question for the GK man, is it safe to assume that the DI in the 1001rb is safe to use if our board is running Phantom power? I haven't tried using the balanced out from the amp yet either.

8. Contour is 500hz
    Presence is 10K
    Treble is 7k
    High Mid is 1k
    Low Mid is 250hz
    Bass is 60hz

Yes it's safe to run with phantom power on.

9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks. So is Contour a mid-mid (boost/cut) or is it more complex than that?

10. All the way up, it's +2db at 50hz, -10db at 500hz, and +3db at 7kHz.

11. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Back in the day when I was running a GK RB2000 into an Acme Low B4, the best sound I got was with every control run flat, the contour set to taste (depending on the bass used), gain set to just below peaks, and the master volume pushed up nice and solid, but not overbearing... never any less than "4", but usually no more than "7".

MAN! :D

With a Fender Jazz, that was one meaty, present and pumpin' bass rig!

IMO, with a rig like that, volume = tone.

12. Yeah this is because we don't use am and pm that much ...
    Days are not longer in France that in the US ;)

13. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Daniel
    I see you you have a GK MB150E plus 112 Cab and also you have had an ABM 500.
    Can you tell me how you rate the MB150E (with or without the 112 cab) against the AMB500? Was it an ABM 500/15?Also, how much difference does the 112 Cab make to the output or depth of the 150E.
    And what do you think of the MB150E as a gigging amp?

14. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hiya Dan,
    I tried your settings last night at rehearsal--what a difference. It really filled out the bottom, and indeed warmed up the tone. My original settings were similar, but I didn't use the 4/5 string button. WooHoo-- sounded awesome last night. :cool:

15. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Hey Dan, Do those frequency centers for the eq and contour also apply to the older models? I have 400RB. How about the old "high boost" Is that comparable to the modern "presence" control. Thanks much.

16. I used the ABM 500 head with a Mini 10 and Mini 15. I also tried it with the Mini 48 and Mini 12 for awhile. I've never really spent much time with any of the other Ashdown cabinets.

The ABM 500 and MB150E are completely different and not really comparable. I am a fan of Ashdown ABM series amps though. They're warm and for the tone that I like does not require any eq'ing at all. Where the GK 1001RB-II wins is that I am able to dial in the same kind of sound with it and with a few very easy adjustments get a wide variety of other kinds of tones. I especially like the variable control contour in place of just a button. The ABM's octave divider was fun and cool, but I never found a use for it at a gig. The 1001 is a little louder, and punchier with a quicker response. The ABM is spongier. The fan in the ABM is noisy compared to the 1001.

We could fairly compare the preamp section between the MB150E and the ABM500 I think. The ABM has a seven band eq where the MB 150 has a four band eq with sweeps on the two mid controls. The MB has a wider Q pattern which I like. The MB also has a built in stereo chorus. I have no use for that, But Lee Sklar says it's his favorite chorus effect and uses it frequently. The DI ground on the ABM is permanently lifted, where the MB is selectable. The MB also has the variable contour and presence. I find the low cut on the MB completely useless for anyone except django style guitar players. The boost on the GK amps uses an FET to add a little growl to the tone while the ABM uses a tube to do the same thing. The tube sounds nice, but more times than not, I've seen that control fail. (stop working). The boost on the GK also ads much more gain which can be very useful. The MB requires an extension cabinet with a horn to get the modern hifi slap type tone. The MB head on top of a GK Neo 112 or 115 really sounds good. The MB speaker sounds good for finger style playing and old style slap. Think of Rocco Prestia.

The MB is a good gigging amp for churches, cafe and small club gigs or with jazz and pop groups at larger gigs. Not good at all for hard rock gigs. There's just not enough power. In the studio, however, it's the perfect amp for all playing styles.

17. In theory, they should be the same, but they will sound a little different. The 400RB-III is brighter than the 400RB and the 400RB-IV. The IV has more low end than either of the previous versions. the presence all the way on or off is the same as the high boost on the old 400rb.

18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Hey Dan!!!! I just ordered a 1001RB-II head from Rik's. Should be here Thursday. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

19. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    ...any word on when we might be seeing some info released on these? Reviews?