1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Kreuger - Grill Removal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peopleonfire, Apr 14, 2009.

1. peopleonfire

peopleonfire

Apr 14, 2009
    Quick question for the brains in this forum -
    how can i remove the front metal grills of my GK cabinets
    (I have a 2x10 mounted on a 4x10 - with a Backline 600 head)

I am looking to paint the grills without doing any damage to the speakers themselves.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had a good lead to replacing the casters on my 4x10 (bought used, two wheels are shredded). May just end up hitting the hardware store though.

Show is tomorrow night so any feedback would be appreciated
    Thanks guys!

Rickenbacker Custom Bass - Boss Tuner - EH Big Muff Pi - Boss Bass Chorus.
    www.myspace.com/peopleonfiremusic

2. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    i don't have a GK cab. but looking at pics if you push hard you can slide the grill off to one of the sides and then slide it back over while pulling out on the grill. hope this makes sense and is right. I would wait for someone else to answer but if no one tells ya try this out. but make sure what I say is possible before you try it.

3. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    My combo's grill (GK Backline112) can be easily unscrewed and removed.

Question: Why would you do that?

4. peopleonfire

peopleonfire

Apr 14, 2009
    i want to remove the grill to paint it white before the next gig.
    Guitarist has two 4x10s painted white, and since the sides of my cab are carpeted (i.e. look like crap when painted), I wanted to just have my front grill(s) white.

i am not sure about the sliding technique. will have to take a look at it tonight at rehearsal.

i found great casters at Home Depot, btw (2nd part of my original post)
    Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to know if theres some hidden screw somewhere to ease in its removal. would hate to force it, put it back and have the dreaded "rig rattle"

talkbass rules.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Both my RBH and SBX cabs are just held in with 4 corner screws. I would powdercoat it for durability.
    Wes