1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger 1001 Bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I have a GK rb1001 ll. The guys at Gk told me that there is no way to bi amp without a GK cab. I thought I could simply make 2 seperate cables using the opposite speakon pins and then run them to a high and low cab. The tech at GK said that the 50W section dedicated to the high end was not designed to drive a cabinet, only a horn. Has anyone done this, my way? I planned on using a 4x10 for lows and a 2x10 for highs. Please help.

2. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, +1 to that. What you want to do is not possible. Just run both cabs full range, which will sound infinately better anyway.

4. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Yeah, you need the...SBX cabs? Or something? RBX?

5. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    You need the G-K cab. Have you tried out their NEO cabs? I have a 4-12 with my 550 Fusion, I'm pretty sure they are rated to handle the 1001RB.

6. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Thats cool thanks guys, I actually have a 4x10 LDS and a 2x10 SWR. But I have a 1x15 LDS due any day. Ill just run the 4x10 and the 1x15.

7. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    Not quite what the OP asked, but couldn't your rewire a speakon jack on a non-GK cab to bypass the internal crossover and send the 50w to the tweeter and the 'low' amp to the woofer?

8. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    And sell me the 2x10?

9. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    knigel, what would you pay for it? Not looking to get rich but what is fair market? I dont need it anymore. Its a Golliath 3, 8 ohm.....

10. Yes you can, install a NL4 speakon. Wire woofer 1+ to woofer pos, 1- to woofer neg. 2+ to horn pos, 2- to horn neg. It works nicely to add high end clarity, it won't do any good into 10" drivers though.

11. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Argh, I need a 4 ohm!

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    +1
    excellent info

13. maxvockner

maxvockner I love the way music can heal the soul

Jun 10, 2010
    Nome / Anchorage , AK
    Okay following the last post here, I have a 1001rb-ii currently hooked to a bag end s15 and would like to get a 4x10 cab to go with my set up. I was looking at getting a GK rbh 410 because the 400w power rating and the bi-amp capability would suit me perfect but they just discontinued that model. Now all that is there to replace it is the neo 410 which has a 800w rating. What i want to do after reading the last post is get the GK MBX410 400w and wire in the speakon NL4 connector to the cab so i can run a biamped setup with the 100rb-ii. this would seem to be the most efficient use of power 360 watts to the 15" , 360 watts to the 410 mbx cab and 50 watts to the horn of the 410. will this work like i think?

14. That will work, but don't let the higher power HANDLING of the Neo410 keep you away from the NEO series. The Neo series cabs are very efficient.

15. Zitch

Zitch Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    They are and will blow your socks off!

16. cracker75

cracker75

Mar 12, 2010
    He could rewire two 8ohm cabs (as per the specs) easily to drive the tweeters separately, but the switch has to come before the x-over/filter not after.

17. Actually you bypass the switch and/or crossover completely. The 2+,2- on the speakon gets wired directly to the tweeter, the horn (tweeter) is then controlled directly from the tweeter control on the amp head. The "horn" amp in the G-K RB heads (except the 800RB) will drive a 4 ohm load at 75 watts.

18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    This is my biggest frustration with the 1001, the kind of useless high end biamp bit.

Lets face it, 5K is way up there in tweeter land. It would have been so much better if the high end circuit was available to drive a more mid range set of frequencies. I'm going to try the high end circuit with a horn, and with an Eminance Alpha 6, and with both together, but I don't have high hopes for the results.

To the OP, yes, you can wire up a speakon cable using the number 2 set of terminals to drive a horn or tweets. But you only get 5K and up. How much sizzle do you want?

As much as I like this very reliable and loud amp, the lack of an adjustable crossover may prove to be the deal breaker that puts it up on the block.

I would like to be able to drive a 6" mid with a more realistic crossover point, say 500, but to do this I need either: another amp, or, a crossover and lowpass. I'd rather hunt up a new amp with an adjustable crossover than mess with putting the crossover and low pass in my cabs.

What irks me is that the GK 800RB has an adjustable crossover and has been used to do just what I want. If I had only know then what I want to do now....

19. The 1x15 is going to be the weak link in your system. The 4x10 will leave it behind in efficiency, power handling and will probably go deeper. All in all it's not a happy mating.

Paul

20. What is the impedance of your 4x10 and is your amp stable to 2Ω??

Paul