1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger 1001 rbII Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitrofix, Apr 27, 2010.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey all, I got a Gallien Krueger 1001 rbII coming soon and I'll be looking for a cab or 2..I was thinking about getting 2 GK 112/ Neo cabs, now my question is I know the cabs are rated at 300 watts and If I use 2 the amp will be 4 ohm's putting out 700 watts, now there's no way I'm running the amp full up do you think it will work, also thinking about the 2 12'' neo cab that is a 600 watt cab and the amp will be running at 8 ohm's putting out 480 watts which would make more sense but I like the fact of running 2 112'' cabs using one for smaller gigs and 2 for bigger gigs. Looking for some input and you guys using a GK 1001rb11 what cabs do you use...Just looking for some 12'' light weight cabs...Thanks everyone

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I had the gk1001rbII with the neo 212. First question I gotta ask is what size venues are you playing? I remember I liked the very clear sound I could get from this setup, but at the same time could add some grind if needed. However volume wise it was lacking. I think you may need more speakers. I played a couple of outdoor shows with big stages, venues that could pack maybe 700 to 1000 people and had the head hooked up to the board for FOH sound. It wasn't loud enough against two halfstacks and an average (volume wise) drummer to be heard on stage as much as I liked. I sold the setup to a friend who complains about the same thing. Not loud enough. I played in a punk and ska band and my friend's band alternative rock. He plays smaller venues (bars and lounges) and is looking to get another cab...

3. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey Garmenteros, I play a lot of different size places from a club that hold about 50 people to an outdoor gig that I play every weekend to about 300 to 500 people, I don't think the volume will be a problem, I use a Hartke HA3500 now through a 4 10'' XL cab ( 8 ohm's @ 250 watts)and have no problem with volume, I run it at about at 5, i also always run through the Pa we have just want to know If I'll blow the cabs using 2 300 watt 112'' neo cabs....

4. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    anyone else.......

5. hstingrayh

hstingrayh

Sep 29, 2007
    Atlanta.GA
    With 1001 rbll I did blow many cabs,mostly 410's...Answer was,bi-amp,buy two GK 410,make 4 ohm and be happy and safe!!!

6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've use it with the following:

Epifani PS 410 or Epifani PS210 (and PS115 if needed)

I've had Schroeder and Bergantino cabs with the same head in the past.

I like the flexibility of my PS210 and PS115, where I can just bring the PS210 for smaller gigs.

7. I have been using a SWR Goliath II. I think Goliath II sounds good, but it's a real drag moving. My new GK NEO 212 arrived today. At first I wasn't quite "getting" that cab. Now after an hour or so of playing through it, I'm really liking it... And that like just may turn into love.

8. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    The one disadvantage of the Neo 212 is the 8 ohm load, and not getting the full potential from the amp. The TBers above that have had experience running out of steam, I would ask for what the weakest link was in their experience?
    The GK1001rbII or the Neo 212....?? Did the amp run out of headroom or did the cab start giving up? This might better help you determine if two Neo 112s at 4 ohms will be enough.....etc
    Should get quite loud, but everything is relative......
    Tom Bowlus has gigged with Neo 212 and Neo 112 stack with GK 700RB I believe....seemed to be quite impressed.....
    If 2x Neo 112s is doubtful, then maybe 2x Neo 212, or a 4x10 or two. At this point, you are talking about some serious volume....
    In either event, if you can control the lows and dial in some low mids and mids, you should be able to push some sound...and be heard....

Personally, its been a while since I gigged with a GK1001RB. I currently use MB LMII and Berg cabs.....but I am hearing really good stuff about the GM Neo stuff.....
    Good luck:D

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    True story! :D

The 700RB-II seems to pair up exceptionally well with the Neo212/112, though I will be the first one to admit that I would normally be concerned about sending too much power to the single 12 in the Neo112-II (both being 8-ohm cabs). But Bob Gallien said not to worry about it, the Neo112-II can handle it - and it can! At least with the 700RB-II.

I do also own a Fusion 550 and a 2001RB. I am thinking about picking up a Neo410 to go with the Neo212 when I use the 2001RB. I like the sound of two Neo212's, but I like the 212/410 mix a tad better.

Tom.

10. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Just got a hold of tech support at GK they suggest using the 212 neo and said running 112 neo would not be able to handle the power of a 1001rb, so i guess it's either a neo 212'' or a neo 410'' ....now which one....I guess I'll figure it out since I'll be getting my 1001rb friday and want to gig it this weekend.........