Gallien Krueger 1001 Vs. EBS HD350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Oct 2, 2002.

1. EBS HD 350

35 vote(s)
  2. Gallien Krueger 1001 RB

46 vote(s)
  1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Both of them are the same price here in switzerland. I am planning on just running them with a 2 by 10 for the time being. The hd 350 is only 350 watts to galliens 550 watts. which would you choose
  2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This is a tough one. Both amps
    are great but different. The ebs
    has plenty of headroom and can
    make a Hondo p-bass sound like
    Marcus Miller, but I wasn't knocked
    out with the finger sound. Lacked
    some low end. The GK has good low
    end and can do just about anything,
    but the slap sound just isn't as
    good as the ebs. EBS is warmer, the
    GK is faster. Just my opinion using
    an Eden xlt 2x10.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I voted EBS because I've played through the HD 350 in a showroom and own a Fafner. I also own a GK practice amp, and have owned it for about 18 or so years.

None of the GK amps I've heard are very hi-fi: they seem to color the sound too much for my tastes. The EBS has the warmth of tubes but the hi-fi of...well...hi fi. It's very accurate and has tons and tons of headroom.

If you're looking solely at power, the extra 200 watts in the GK isn't going to make much difference. I think the EBS is a far better product. Play through them both for yourself,'s your money and your ears.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The 2 opportunities I've had to play through an EBS have been very positive. There wasn't really anything that I didn't like about them. Oddly, I'm really an old school-tone kinda guy and don't slap as a rule but I found the EBS tone to be very pleasing to my ears. One of the amps was a Fafner. Ooo-baby that amp sure sounded sweet. And the other was the HD350.

I played an outdoor festival several weeks ago and the backline was a G-K RB800. I didn't like it very much at all. It just seemed to be missing something for me. I do know that quite a few folks have used G-K amps for years and they've been real reliable but I don't know about the current stuff. I'd be a bit concerned about repair options.

I've never seen or heard any of the Glockenklang stuff but if you don't have to pay all the tarriffs that we, in the US, it might be worth looking into. I've heard nothing but good comments on the Glock stuff.
  5. well, i would say GK. i bet ya never guessed it ;)
  6. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Don't know about this particular GK, the ones I played in stores never convinced me.

I recently tried my Alembic Series2 through the EBS HD350 with the EBS 810 cab, and I almost had tears in my eyes... I currently own an SWR stack, Bass350 + 2*10" + 1*15" which I am trying to sell as a result!
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Trying an amp out in a store means
    very little. Its what it sounds like when
    making music thats important. Also,
    the difference between the Fafner and
    the Hd350 is BIG! The Hd350 low end eq
    is at 100hz, much higher than many bass
    amps. This helps make the slap sound killer.
    In my own experience this makes the
    finger sound a bit weak on the low end.
    Not a problem if you use lots of (or) big
    speakers. With one 2x10 box its a
    different story
  8. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    i like ebs heads and pre. its the sound im after. i have the td650 and love it. i was sad though when i sold my gk 800rb. it worked perfect for me for 6 years and i bought it used. it just wasnt my sound. remember the hd350 is only 350watts at 4ohms. on the other side i think ebs sounds alot louder than their ratings.
  9. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    You might want to check out the Glockenklang Sould head. It's in the same price range as the EBS 350, at least in Europe.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And, their voicings are fairly similar, IMO.

I believe the Soul head is far more expensive in the US than the HD350.
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The new 1001rb coming out in a couple of weeks is going to be over 700 watts with no price increase. Also, since you're using a 2x10" I assume that portablility is an issue. The GK is also smaller in size and only weighs 18lbs.
  12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Interesting... Why does slap sound better with a bass boost that starts at a higher frequency?

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002

:D I feel better every time I'm reminded what these cost. I got my year old 1001rb from the band's ex bassist for $400. Right place, right time.

BTW, been using it for about a year now w/ absolutely no problems at all. Sounds great through my Ampeg SVT cabs and if I could find another at that price I'd definitely grab it as a backup, just in case ;)
  14. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    no no no :D
    Just happy.... very happy with the 1001rb and the price. It's definitely worth more. On the other hand... I have no Zon, Bergies, or Bag End cabs.. ;)
  15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Right on Josh.
    I love the ASAT. It was my first "real" bass.. y'know, the one you can finally be proud of and all. It's definitely a keeper. don't wanna know what I gave for that ;).
  16. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a 1001RB and I'm more than happy with it.

If the watts are a deciding factor, then maybe wait for the newer 1001RB models. I hear that the watt output has been increased.
  17. The 1001RB-II started shipping last week. It's 700 watts at 4 ohms, 460 watts at 8 ohms. I'm not sure when it'll arrive in Sweden, but it shouldn't be too long.
  18. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The Swedish distributor is Uppasala or Uppsala. Or something like that.
  19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe it'll be hard to reply accurately as long as we don't know what kind of tone you're after.

My selection of favourite amp brands is narrowed to 4, and neither GK nor EBS are among them. But that's just me. With a special mention for Ashdown.