1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II Cabinet Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brandon Nolde, Dec 11, 2018.

1. I'm thinking of upgrading my bass rig & I have my eyes set on Gallien-Krueger. I've only owned combo amps in the past so I have a few questions about powering the cabinets. I didn't buy the head yet but I do have a GK Neo 112 extension cabinet (which sounds great) & I would like to use it with my new setup. I'd like to buy either the Neo 410 or the Neo 212 cabinet as the primary speaker cabinet & also use my Neo 112. Most GK amp heads have two speak-on outputs. If I use one output for the 410 or 212 & use the other output for my 112, will the amp evenly distribute the power to each speaker or will each cabinet receive the same wattage? Obviously the 112 requires less power than either of the new cabs I'm looking into. My end game is to actually use the 112 as a bass monitor & the 212 or 410 as the primary stage cabinet. I usually have issues getting enough bass through the monitors, so this may be a solution if the amp head will distribute the power evenly. Any advice will help. Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The amp may have dual outputs, but they are in parallel so each output is exactly the same. You can use both, or you can use one. No difference. It will not evenly distribute power to an odd number of speakers so your best best is to get two matching cabinets. You also cannot hook up three 8 ohm cabinets to a GK amp as they are only stable to 4 ohms so you cannot connect more than two. Just to give you an idea, Mesa Subway amps are 2 ohm stable so you can hook up four 8 ohm cabs.

Brandon Nolde likes this.
  3. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Each cabinet will receive the same wattage if they're both 8ohm cabs. Keep in mind that the 1001RB-ii can't handle loads under 4ohm, so you wouldn't be able to pair an 8ohm cab with a 4ohm cab without putting the amp in danger.

That power split, given that it would be divided equally between either the 212 or 410 and your 112 can be an issue, and put the 112 at greater risk of danger (as the 112 will be seeing either twice or four times as much power as the other drivers depending on which you choose). Some do run the 212 and 112 together, but personally I wouldn't recommend it - especially with higher powered amps. Again, that's just me personally. GK has actually endorsed the 212+112 combination, but does note that care must be taken.

With that out of the way, let's talk about your strategy. True, getting bass through house monitors is typically an issue, and is something that I never bank on, but I'm not sure if splitting up your cabs is the best solution.

Why doesn't just using the traditional setup of bass cab stack in the back firing forward work from a monitoring standpoint as well?

4. With my current setup, I have no problem hearing & feeling the low notes but I can't really hear the mids & the highs since my amp is behind me & it's also quite low to the ground so maybe a stack might allow me to hear it better with the speakers elevated. My main issue with the monitors/PA right now is that I can't get enough volume without the channel clipping on the mixer but the guy who owns it says it's a 3000 watt PA amp so I really don't understand why it would clip at such a low volume. We did get some improvements by adjusting the gain on the bass channel & it helped but it's still not loud enough. I was thinking of getting a small powered mixer for my monitor & sub mix it with an additional DI XLR line so I can adjust accordingly. Regardless, I'd like to get a nicer bass rig, & I might be better off selling my 112 along with my combo amp based on what I'm hearing from you & the other guy who commented. I appreciate the info!

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    You won't have trouble hearing the solid mids and highs with a 1001rbII. Should deliver that in spades. I use a sealed Fender 2x12 with mine for larger gigs and outdoor festivals. Never had an issue with it being buried sonically on any stage.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I would add another GK 112 NEO and get the 700RBII instead. You'll get plenty of volume, portability, and GK sound for less money. I would NOT add a 212 to pair with the 112, especially with the 1001 head. As pointed out above, one reach for the volume knob may put the 112 at risk because it will be seeing a full half of the head's power.

7. That's exactly what I plan on doing. I just ordered the other 112 cab earlier today. I'm in a toss up between the MB 500 head and the 700 RB head. Their both around the same wattage but the RB series has the bi-amp feature. At this point I'm still trying to decide on the head.

Kro and jeff7bass like this.
  8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Just me but I would get the 700RB over the MB500 for both sound and durability.

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I used both of those heads with my pair of Neo 112-iis back when I was still running them. Both are fine options, but I don't know that I'd let the bi-amp feature be a deciding factor. It was nice to have for sure, but IMO there are greater deciding factors such as tone and weight. Any chance you could test them out and see which you like better based on their tone and feel?

10. We have a few music stores in the area but the only way I could try it is if I ordered one. I'm thinking of going the used route since I'm on a budget. Possibly from Guitar Center online. Otherwise, I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to get to one. Any thoughts on buying used gear online?

11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Of all the amps I've ever purchased, only one of them was picked up new - my MB2-500 that was the precursor to the MB-500, and when I did so I had no other options, as I was probably one of the first few people to buy one.

All my other amps were picked up used: 700RB-i... another 700RB-i, 700RB-ii, 1001RB-ii, and 1001RB-i, in order from eBay, Craigslist, TalkBass, TalkBass, and Reverb.

Guess which one is the only one that ever needed bench time for repairs? (Hint: it was tiny and silver).

Nothing against the MB, as I noted mine was a very early version, but the RBs are tanks, and I'm pretty much of the mind that if one has lasted for years used without issue, then it'll probably continue to do so for many years to come. Most failures seem to present themselves very early in an amp's life.

I'm guessing you'd most likely be looking at the latest 700RB-ii version?

jeff7bass and Brandon Nolde like this.
  12. I guess either version of the 700RB would be fine. I haven't done all of my research yet but from what I've read is that the new version has a slightly higher wattage output. I think either would power a couple 112 cabinets just fine.

13. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Either would have enough power, though the newer version also has some other component improvements that may lead to greater reliability in the long run. The newer version also has a bit more lows dialed-in by default with the knobs at noon - nothing major though.

14. I’ll just leave this photo here for the GK 112+212 haters.. Get TRIGGERED ladies!!

Attached Files:

pht2356 and wave rider like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    :meh:

16. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

2 2X12's are sweet:

mdogkrig.

17. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Different option

Attached Files:

AstralBirth likes this.
  18. Hope the OP updates us of what he ended up getting.