Gallien Krueger 1001RB owners, did they fix it? (plese help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, May 9, 2005.

1. I'm about to lay some money down on a Gallien Krueger 1001. I'm not sure if it's the older or newer one, but in the instances that it's the older one, I need to know something.

What exactly was this whole "defective 1001RB" business? Was this problem only in the older ones? Did they fix it with the new ones? Was it a very common problem? Did it only happen within the first few months? Also, does anyone know what date the new II models were introduced?

If I bought an old one, should I worry? If it's the II, should I worry?

I have to go through some dirty work to get this, so I want to make sure it's going to work, especially because it's used.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The II's are fixed. I recall it was a soldering issue, but I think they fired that guy. LOL.

Dan Elliot will probably be along soon.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The problem in the 1001RB and the 700RB was the way the pre-amp was designed and soldered at the factory. there was a batch that did suffer from cold solder joints and the amp would sometimes loose power (I think). People who have had problems just had the pre-amp boards re-soldered and the problems disappeared. The new 1001rbII and the 700RBII have different pre-amp boards thus solving the problem. Hopefully our resident GK employee will chime in and clarify what Iv'e just said.
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Acutually I believe it was an issues with the first couple of batches of 1001RB II's and 700RB II's. Supposed to be fixed now...
  5. Wait, was it only loose solder joints? I found out through searching that they "Fixed" it with the II's, but the only problem was loose solder joints? There wasn't anything wrong?

So going after this, I can be pretty much assured that IF there is something wrong, I can fix it?

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what I recall it being, cold solder joints caused poor conduction, meaning failure.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my mark II works flawlessly
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My mark 1 works perfectly. I have had to replace a couple of control pots that I broke off, but the solder joints were all good.
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You might be confusing a couple issues. The older GK amps, including the first versions of the 700 and 1001RB were felt by many to be underpowere. Some also had issues with fans burning out and causing the (overworked) power section to overheat. This was "fixed' with the new RB II variants that came out in the past couple years (I think the 700RB II was 2002 or somewhere around there). Aside from being more powerful and having better cooling, they added some features like the voicing filter and made the EQ more powerful. The new amps, while still "GK clean" have a more soulful sort of clean to my ears.

However some of the early batches of the RB IIs suffered from defective solder joints. If its a new GK head its not an issue you should be worried about. If its an older head and hasn't broken by now it probably won't, however I'm sure GK would take care of it for you if it did. They have an excellent record for CS from everything I have read here and elsewhere.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My Mark II has performed flawlessly for the entire time I've owned it.
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I've used a Mark I for 4+ years now with ZERO issues.
  12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    700RBII is my amp-of-choice.

13. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    I have a 400RB-III that the fan burned up on, which I'm getting ready to ship to GK for repair. I'm pretty sure it was from neglegence (not enough space above amp), but after reading this, maybe not. Was this an issue for all older GK heads, or just the 700 & 1001?
  14. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Have a GK1001RBI, bought new, at around 2yrs old it began stopping in midsong (power light would go red) then just start working again in a few seconds (power lite goes back green). It did this at three different gigs, was not running it hard at all. Took it to two repair shops, first tech could not find anything to repair, took it back and it did it again at a gig. The tech at second shop said, he adjusted the bias, checked it all over, all soldering was good. Had been working fine, that was about 4 months ago, at a recent gig had it kinda cranked up but not crazy loud and it shut down again in midsong. I just waited a few seconds for the redlite to go green and jumped back into the song. Used it again this past Sunday at a small club at low to moderate volumes it did just fine. Of course I have been bringing my other amp to gigs now and keep it right there on stage just in case I need to switch em out. My other amp, GBE600, works fine with same cabs, cables, basses, etc. Don't know what could be, overheating maybe? It will be relegated to back up amp status again, just can't be trusted. This time it should go back to GK for them to do repairs, maybe they can find what the problem has been.
  15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i have a gk 1001rb210 mark 1 combo and i love it, and it's always worked (and sounded) fantastic. the mark one and two have cosmetic differences so they are easy to tell apart- if it's grey and black with white lettering, it's a mark 1. if it's got the grey/charcoal with the chrome gallien-krueger, then it's a mark 2. my best advice though would be listen to dan elliot. he'll tell you straight about gk stuff- good and bad. :bassist:
  16. PM me the serial number of the amp and assuming it hasn't been modified, I can tell you what potential issues it may have if any. Ask the seller to give you a repair record. Have any parts been replaced, fixed or modified? If it has been repaired it's not a bad thing. Keep in mind that when you buy a used amp, it's not covered under warranty. I can go to bat for you, but I can't promise that it would be fixed for free if something happened to it. What I can promise is that we will make every reasonable effort to make sure you are satisified with whatever service you receive.
  17. Dan, thanks for the offer, I'll PM you as soon as I get the serial #, though I am expecting to purchase it tommorow.

So far, here's what I have.

It's a 1999 1001 RB and it had some circuit board issues that were repaired by the shop's authorized GK repair guy.

Right now, I'm finding out how long ago the issue was.

Do you think that if it had issues, but is "fixed" and has been for a little while, that I don't have too much to worry about? What if it was just recently fixed, should I worry?

18. If it was repaired awhile ago and it's not having any issues now, it's probably going to be fine.
  19. Hi sorry to drag this thread out of the mists of time but it seems to be a good place to post my question...

I have had a 1001RB for about 18 months which I bought second hand from an official GK dealer over here in the UK.
    Up until last night I haven't had any problems with it. The cabs I use are the GK 410SBX and the GK NEO212. At gigs I usually have pretty much all the controls on the front panel of the amp set to 12 o'clock - except the contour control. This is set to 7 o'clock (minimum). It's got plenty of power - more than enough BUT.....

Last night I had been playing with the band for about an hour and a half and the sound became distorted, then became quieter and quieter until there was nothing left. At first I thought it was the battery in my bass but my bass has a switch built into the volume pot that bypasses the active electronics and the bass works passively. No difference.

The power light remained green while I had no sound. I also had my Ashdown ABM head with me so I tried that so see if it was my bass, leads or cabs. No problems here so it must be the GK amp.

I did try the GK again about 15 mins later and it worked again but the same problem reappeared after around 2 minutes.

I wonder, could I have a dry solder joint on my pre amp? One thing I didn't think to try at the time was to connect my bass to the effects loop return and go striaight into the power amp so I don't know if it's the preamp or the power amp that is at fault.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what could it be?? Maybe Dan Elliott has some suggestions...??? Thanks all.
  20. jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have a Mark I and have never had any problems w/ mine.