Gallien-Krueger 1001RB/RBH 4-10 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Ok, this is my new rig so I figured i'd do a review.I know there's been plenty said around here about the 1001RB but i'll say some more.IT ROCKS!!!!Seriously,the 1001RB is a great amp in all respects.The volume it produces for such a small package is pretty amazing.It is much louder than anything i've tried in it's class(500 -600 watts) and even higher rated amps i've tried.The remarkable thing about the preamp on this thing is the amount of headroom in the input section.I can't make it clip no matter hard I try.If you do want a little overdrive (growl) in your sound you can crank the boost, which I believe is a second stage of gain in the poweramp section.All I know is it really gives the sound some serious cajones.The EQ is pretty intuitive and sounds good at pretty much any setting.I like to crank the lo-mids a bit which really makes it cut through.As for the cab,that was even more of surprise.I had heard a lot of negative feedback on the GK cabs but really liked them when I tried them at Guitar Center.So I went with my ears and bought one.For you techies ,the owners manual states that it is rated at 800 watts RMS with a sensitivity rating of 106DB and a usable frequency response of 31hz to 13khz.I like to let my ears be the judge though.My ears say it is loud.Very loud.My low b sounds great through it.The top and bottom ports really deliver the bass(this thing was knocking things off the wall in my apartment).It has a very meaty, almost warm sound to it with a very flat response that responds well to EQ changes in the amp/bass.No midrange pre-eq'ed out here and the top end is clear but not at all harsh.The cab also lets me use the BI-Amp feauture on the 1001RB.This is actually pretty cool because it lets you control the level of the horn from the front of the amp instead of reaching behind the cabinet for that dial.You can also overdrive the woofers a bit with the boost control while keeping the tweeter clean.Oh yeah, it came with casters and can be played on it's side,standing up or rocked back.Anyways, this is a great rig and I would encourage people who are skeptical about GK to actually check it out and judge with their ears.I think you'll be surprised.
  2. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had a 1001RB for a while and now have a 700RB. Nice amps; I really like how small and light they are. I agree, the 1001 is really a monster for power. The only downside to GK amps for my uses is the fairly high level of hiss they have.
  3. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Hiss hasn't been a problem for me when used with the RBH 4-10.Try pushing in the tweeter hi-cut button.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Anyone got any goss on the 400RB?
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Got a 400RBIII, so far so good.:)
  6. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I had one for a while and I think they are a great amp, especially for a modern Hi-Fi sound. They are really loud. Good choice.
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anyone else using an RBH cab?
  8. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA