Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GALLIEN KRUEGER 1001RB settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modernday, Nov 2, 2002.

1. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Anybody out there who owns a GK, what would you do to get a good funk sound? I'm thinking like bootsy collins.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Like Bootsy? Out of GK? I don't know about that one. I usually cut the hi-mid and that's about it. Compression can be good as well.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Yes Trip, Bootsy(like) sound out of a GK. You will have a HUGE impact on your final sound modernday. Playing style and dynamics are a big part of Bootsy. If you don't have the funk, you amp won't do you any good. Moving on... KILL YOUR TWEETER. I get the warmest, sweetest sounds out of my GK if I just kill the tweeter. I can still get high end snap w/out the tweeter on if I boost highs, but that's really not what you're looking for. By killing (cutting out all the way) the tweeter, you'll effectively "round out" your sound a bit more. Roll back your highs to taste. I doubt you'll be boosting them, so this is entirely up to you. Next, we approach the high mid. This is tough, as it can REALLY help you to cut through. If you're soloing, I would roll it back a bit. Certainly not all the way, but it will definitely smooth out your sound if you're playing solo. Do this to taste as before on the treble. If you're in a band situation, and maybe even at home by yourself, I would leave it flat for now and come back to it later if it needs tweaking. Third, we approach the low-mid knob. This is the knob I think you'll find the most use out of if you're looking for that Boosty-like sound. I would boost this, probably quite a bit. Once again, I'm not saying dime it (max boost), but you're probably going to want to bring this knob to about 3o'clock (pointing directly to the right). Sometimes I boost more than that and sometimes less. It is entirely dependent on my situation, but thats a good starting point for you. I think you'll probably end up going less, but again, that's all up to you. Last, we come to the bass knob. You'll want to just boost this to taste. It should end up being boosted less than your low mid knob, especially if you're going for that bootsy-like sound. If you can't get the low end sound you're looking for because you just can't seem to get the balance between low and low mid and it seems to go straight from not enough lows to just too powerful, roll back that low knob and kick in the 5/4 string bass button. That gives a nice low end thump w/out muddying up the sound. Remember to roll back the bass knob to where the lows were "not quite enough" or even lower when you do this, otherwise the lows could easily become too much once again. I personally would leave the presence flat, but if you think you need some high end and the treble knob is harsh, use that presence. Especially with the tweeters off, it can give you just what you need. The frequecy responce won't be as good at the frequencies that knob deals with, so it will be much easier to control. Boost it to taste (likely won't need it). As for gain settings, that's 100% up to you. I've tried to give you a foundation for the sound you seek. It would help a lot to know what gear you're using, such as what bass, amp (more specific), cab, etc. It all makes a difference. The difference in GK amps can be HUGE (400rb-III,700rb, and1001rb compared to 400rb and 800rb), so let us know and maybe you'll get some better advice. Remember, an amp only makes what YOU play louder. Sure, the settings can enhance it, but if the funk isn't there, the amp can't make it louder. ;) Hope this helps you out a bit. Later---

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bootsey? doesn't he use a lot of envelope filter effects? That's what I recollect as being "his sound".

As with a previous post, I agree that there are a lot of variables (like your bass, speaker cabs, finger-touch dynamics, etc.) that can make a big difference in how you set your controls. In other words, two different guys with different basses, cabs, and playing styles might have to have totally different settings in order to get the same tone out of that head. I know this for sure, because I use different settings on my 1001 depending on which of my three basses I'm playing. That aside...

For a solid funk sound depending on which bass I'm playing, I usually run the preamp volume at about 11 or 12 o'clock, contour between 1 and 3 o'clock, presence at 12 o'clock, 5 string bass button out (yes, even when playing 5 strings), treble between 11 and 1 o'clock, high mids between 12 and 1 o'clock, low mids between 11 and 2 o'clock, and bass between 1 and 3 o'clock, boost between 9 and 10 o'clock, master volume between 2 and 4 o'clock. speaker cabs are one or sometimes two Eden 2-10XLTs,

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Well gee whiz........He always used some kind of gargantuan rig with all kinds of hooserfudge. Ya know? Killing the tweets is sometimes a REALLY good thing.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Trip, we could be best friends... LOL ;)
    Later---

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Maybe so. You sound like an interesting person. Getting to the tweet thing; I like all kinds of tones. Tweets are great until you step on the 'ol tube screamer or a wah or something. Pretty much downhill after that.
    Until I started using the GK RBH cabs, I had to use Bag End 15s because they were the only things that would hold up. I have blown SWR and Eden tweets just by looking at them. My GK cabs hold up fantastic tweet wise.