Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallien krueger 1001rb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Jan 4, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hi,

can anyone give me their opinions on the gk 1001rb head? i'm thinking of getting one. i'm looking for an amp that has plenty of headroom, is reliable, and light. i'm looking for a warm, punchy sound. i'll be using a MIJ '75 reissue jazz bass and an electro voice 1x15 cabinet.

thanks,

steve

2. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I am looking at the same head. I can tell you this: It ain't light!!

3. i had the 700rb it was fairly light, and it was awesome with my 4 string soundgear. when i got my 5 string btb i couldn't get the sound i wanted with it. and then... i ended up frying the damn thing. oh well...

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have a 1001RB and it is fairly light. Certainly lighter than the Ampeg B-2R I used to own.

5. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i used to have this amp, and i can tell you it has plenty of headroom, is reliable, and light (in response to the other guy.... this thing is a feather compared to my svt2).... but i ended up getting rid of it because its very modern and clear and crisp sounding.... not warm enough for me.... although if you're using a jazz bass and a 15, that will help

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the gk says the 1001rb is 18lbs. i'd say that is extremely light for a 500 watt amp.

steve

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I've got the 700RB. It's very light, has plenty of headroom, and in my experience is very reliable. I also found it to be warm and very punchy. The EQ is a little bit different than that on other amps, so be ready for that. Once you get used to it, you can get some great sounds. I love the growl i get from it. I wish I could get my hands on a mint 1000RB. They seem to be hard to come by. I loved the 2nd boost channel on them, but the 2000RB or 2001RB would be too much power for me. Enjoy...

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Have you guys seen what they've done with the 2001RB? Check it out at the updated (finally!) GK site at www.gallien.com.

Up until now, GK could do no evil with me, but that new faceplate is hideous!

9. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i agree, estring. i always like gk for their no-nonsense, utilitarian aesthetic. i don't like the redesign at all. the did seem to lower the weight though, which is nice. that pre amp only weighs 5 lbs! with a stewart power amp you'd have a huge amp for around 15lbs, i think that's pretty amazing.

steve

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I also agree the faceplate sucks. How long had it been since the last site update... 2 years? Guess they had to with all the new gear. I can't wait to try out the diesel dawg with my 700RB. Too bad no one sells GK locally. Now I have to drive 3 1/2 hours or pray someone I know orders one so I can try it. Kinda sucks- but life goes on... If it sounds anything like the high gain on the 1000RB and 2000RB with my 700RB, it'll be an instant buy. We'll just have to see. Later.....

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had my 1001rb for over a year. I run two Eden David 2-10XLTs. The head has great tone, punch, and headroom. very easy to dial up a tone in different rooms. No problems with it at all. I'm very happy with it.

Although I usually play an MTD 535 or an F Bass, I've tried using my old Jazz Bass with Bartolinis with this GK and it sounded great too.

12. Everytime I go into a guitar store I play through GKs. I love their tone and punchy-ness. MMMMmmmmm.:D

Go for it. You could do a whole lot worse. But make sure you play it at the store before you buy. That's how I got screwed with a Crate BFX100.

Rock on
    Eric

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i picked up the 1001rb from guitar center yesterday. i got a good price because i brought in an advertisment with a much lower price than the one they had advertised. i'm very happy with the purchase so far. it's very light for a 540 watt amp, much lighter than the acoustic 370 i was using before and more powerful. it seems to have plenty of headroom with the electrovoice 1x15 cabinet i'm using and sounds great with my jazz bass. the tone is solid and bassy, nowhere near the tone an all tube amp gets but not bad for a solid state head. the controls are very simple and intuitive. i recommend this amp to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, light and powerful bass amp.

steve

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Stevekim,

welcome to the brotherhood of GK owners!

Rock on.