Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jul 30, 2003.

1. I'm considering adding a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB to my arsenal for live work and traveling. Who has used these amps and what do you have to say about their sound, reliability, etc.? Comparisons to SWR sm400s and Aguilar equipment? Thanks.

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I've had a 1001 for six months. No problems yet.
    Good power. Good tone. Also have a 17 year old 400RB that has never had a problem.

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I bought one and used it while my Aguilar was in the shop. This is a great sounding and powerful amp. I highly recommend it . It is very lightweight and easy to transport. I wish that I still owned it.

4. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I just got one of the new 1001RB-II heads. I like it a lot. Not that different overall than the other 1001RB I had for a while and then sold last year. The new one has less hiss than the old one, which is important to me.

(I missed the one I sold, and got a 700RB to replace it, since that's what my local music store had in stock. But the 700 doesn't have nearly as much poot. I use the 700 as a practice amp.)

I also have a small rack system in a three space rack bag (Avalon U5 plus Stewart 1.2) but am currently using the 1001 most of the time.

5. Thanks for the input. I have an Aguilar 680/720 rig that I really like, but it is too darn heavy to fly, and even taking the rack (140 lbs) to small gigs is not all that fun. A GK 1001 sounds like a great versatile head.

Who has used them with the GK biampable cabinets? How much better, if any, is the sound throught the biampable cabs compared to the non-biampable cabs?

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I just scored one for 300 bucks. It's having some serious volume problems but I've been told this is due to it needing it's "soldering touched up". I havn't had the money to fix it because im still starving from purchasing it.
    It sounds wonderful, I have all my EQ set at 12 o'clock. i just can't get the stage volume I need out of it.

7. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Do you have the -10db pad on? If you do, try turning it off. You will notice a significant increase in volume.

8. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    yay I've hit up all the simple stuff. I'm pretty sure due to the nature of the problem (constantly changing volume levels), that it's a soldering problem.

9. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I touched-up the solder in my 700 RB. It was where a pot joined the pre-amp board. You can probably do it yourself if you are half way comfortable with a soldering iron.

10. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I've been given this advice by several friends. I just used your wording because you seemed to have the same problem and I thought id make it easier for our guy to make a judgement on the "cons" of this head. It's not a major problem. I'm having a friend fix it as we speak.

11. Dan from GK here.

The 1001RB did have a problem where the pramp board was not rigid enough and consequently it would have bad soldier joints if it got bounced around too much. We have virtually eliminated this problem in the 1001RB-II, and in the second revision of the 1001RB. we automatically replace the preamp boards with the newer version in the older ones if they come in for repair. Let me know if you're haveing trouble with one. I may be able to help.

12. I just replaced my Ampeg B4R as a gig head with the GK 1001RB. I can't emphasize enough how much of my bad tone could be attributed to the Ampeg and how much easier it is to play through the GK. I bought this head on a recommendation from my bass tech. He was dead on with it.

Anybody out there have experience modifying an Ampeg P410HLF to work with the G-K bi-amp Speakon connection?

-Pete

13. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    New Bi-Amp Compatability:

You can make any cabinet that has a horn/tweeter compatible with the 700RB/1001RB/2001RB bi-amp feature. First you have to make sure that the horn has at least a 50W power handling rating, then you'll have to modify the input plate on the cabinet to accept either a 4-conductor Speakon-type socket or two 1/4" jacks. In either case, you'll have to disconnect the horn and wire it separately to either a 4-pole Speakon-type socket, utilizing the 2+ and 2- pins or a 1/4" jack, with the tip the (+) lead and the sleeve the (-) lead. Of course, if you decide to use 1/4" jacks, you'll have to modify your Speakon-type cable for 1/4" plugs as well. Also when using the Speakon-type socket, the woofer's main (+) and (-) leads should connect to the (1+) and (1-) of the Speakon-type connector terminals.

If your cabinet already has a Speakon-type connector, check with the manufacturer to see how it's wired before you hook it up to our heads with our Speakon-type style cable. Some manufacturer's Speakon connectors are wired differently than GK's, where they have pin (2+) directly connected to the (1-) pin. This "Short" must be removed, or you will damage the amplifier.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My GK1001RBII 2x10 combo is on order and I hope to have it in another week or so. I can't wait to mate it with my RBH1x15 cab!

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Like another TB'er, I'm considering moving from my trusty SM-400s to a 1001RB. The SM-400s has a decent tone, when I can take the time to negotiate with it. But on quiet gigs, fan noise has become an issue. The SWR head functions great, but the noise level is naturally above where I think it ought to be. Can anyone speak to the fan noise of the GK head?

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned a 1001rb for over three years. No fan noise at all. I have to look at it in order to tell if the fan is running. More than half the time, it ain't running. very cool amp.

17. From 2:00pm to 3:00am my personal GK1001RB performed spectacularly while 9 bands switched off playing a benefit. THat head driving an SVT Classic 810 bottom delivered in every tone, frequency, and volume applicable to bass playing. And it did not break a sweat. Sweet! There is no higher recommendation the head's performance itself. Spectacular!
    -Pete

18. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I've been wanting a new amp and I think you all just helped me decide!:D

I just hope the prices here in Japan aren't too outrageous :(

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, I'd be glad to know how it sounds when you try to get a subtle touch of drive.

Thanks in advance

20. As the praise gets heavier, the questions get mroe sophisticated! I would have liked to have that answered about Ampeg B4R before buying. That was one thing I could not do in the store (mono bridge and CRANK it), and that's exactly where it fell apart.

The G-K 1001RB has sensitive controls all around. Since I was sharing it with 9 bands I wrote my settings down in advance so I could put them back to my preferences before I played (last). Just a slight rotation either direction on any pot on the front gives you a lot of what you were asking for. I mention this because "subtle" is a little difficult to accomplish quickly. You can get "perfect" but then stick with it.

With the right cabinet (like an 810 and probably their matched bi-amped bottoms) the tone, contour, and presence settings will stay very consistent at any volume. If you bring your gain up to get a little growl that will also swell smoothly with your output volume at any setting.

This head is the one, I'm telling you!
    -Pete