Gallien-Krueger 1001RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jul 30, 2003.

1. I am currently looking for a good head in the 400 watt range, since im very close to buying an ampeg BSE410hlf from a friend. Does anyone have an opinion on how it would sound with an 800RB and is there anything i need to do to make them compatible? Theres alot of good praise here for a GK head with an ampeg cab.

Peace.

2. The 800RB will only give you 300 watts unless you use two cabinets and 8 ohm and a 4 ohm. The 700RB-II is 320 watts at 8 ohms or 480 watts at 4 ohms. Powerwise it more what you're looking for.

GK heads sound great no matter what cabinet you plug them into, but you should really try to hear them with the GK cabinets if possible.

3. The 410 cab that im looking at has 2 input jacks... even though they arent separately for high and low, it just has 2 full range inputs for if you want to biamp. Can i plug both the 300w low and 100w high into both inputs and then let the crossover in the cab do the work from there? Its a 4 ohm, 400 watt cab.:confused:

Peace.

4. I'm not sure you have the bi-amping thing clear (from your post). Bi-amping is specifically splitting high and lows to separate power amps and from there to separate speakers. The two inputs in the back of the BSE410 are parallel in/outs (I'm pretty sure). By itself, the cabinet will not respond to biamping. The BSE410 is a full range cabinet.

In order to bi-amp you need to route your signal to separate speakers or modify the one you have to split the signal. The latter is a bad choice, though. You are much better off running full power to your full range cabinet unless you have a really good reason to bi-amp.

-Pete

5. Thanks for clearing that up... im not too familiar with GK and how theyre setup, i was just wondering if they have a regular output that i can simply plug into the ampeg (instead of powering it with just the low end watts, and then letting the high end go to waste).

Peace.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Dunno about the 800, but on the 700 and 1001 the GK high-frequency amp is just a little amp-on-a-chip (LM-3886 I believe), not much power. I just use my GKs full range, ignoring the bi-amp thing. It really is only for use with GK cabs and I use Epifani and Bergantino. IMHO you aren't really "losing" anything by not using it.

Also IMHO, the GK800, nice as it is, is a living fossil. The 700 is a better amp all around, better tone controls, lighter weight, and more powerful. And the 1001 a real step up from either the 800 or the 700 power-wise.

7. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    FWIW, I'm one of the GK Head/Ampeg Cab supporters.

I use a 1001RB through an SVT-410he & SVT-115en.
    I also run my 1001 full range into these cabs, totally disregarding and "wasting" the 50W hi-end power.

I'm happy. YMMV.

8. The 1001 and 700 are not biamped in the same way that the 800 is. There is a main (not low) amp and a tweeter (not high) amp. The tweeter amp is 50 watts. If you are not using the GK speakon cables into the GK cabinets, the tweeter amp is ignored. That's 50 watts in addition to the previously mentioned power ratings. The main amp is full range unless you press the high cut which cuts 5k and above from the main signal. The tweeter amp is fixed at 5k and above.

9. Daniel, thank you soooo much for completely clearing that up. Really, im grateful, i can actually sleep at night not that i dont have to figure out how they make those heads work. You may have just helped me pick a new head... unless i find an SWR for cheap, which doesnt seem to be happening.

Now i just have to find a used one... :rolleyes: :bassist:

Peace.

10. pin 47, I've had a gk800 since '83 never a problem,ran it into a svt810 ,sounded great ,enough power for me.I switched to bi-ampin a 115 and a 212 for portability and never got as good of sound,I now run just the 115[more focused] but when i get some money it's going to be the svt4110 hlf, they sound great with the 800. If you get a GK 800 run it full power into any Ampeg 4 ohm cab and you will not be dissapointed.

11. apr5331

apr5331

Feb 21, 2006
    I was reviewing some previous threads earlier and read that it was possible to use the GK speakon connectors in the back of the amp (1001rb II), into a non-GK cabinet if you used a 2 wire speaker cable, connected to a 2 lead speakon connector?? The post indicated that you would only be using the woofer (primary) amp and not the 50 watt high frequency amp. Is this correct?

12. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Correct. It is also possible to use the GK biamp function with a properly wired non-GK cabinet. The GK website has a wiring diagram for the Speakon connection.

13. apr5331

apr5331

Feb 21, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out the GK site, found the wiring and it certainly looks like it would work to use the speakon at both ends rather then just the speaker cab side.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I drop a sound deadening quilt over mine when recording using live mics. The fan is no problem then. I've done several quiet duo gig's (lounge and dinner music) and the fan noise has not been an issue for me.

I've been using the DI out as a recording interface for a while. It's more than adequate. I moved to the GK from a Demeter 201 w/ Jensen DI. The GK seems to be as good or at least in the same league to me. I did not expect that at all!

15. 4Mal

4Mal Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    One of the things I like about GK is that the head itself is relatively uncolored. I run mine through Bag End's and it's as good sounding a stage setup as I've ever had. I also disregard the bi-amp feature. My BE cab's are designed to cross at 3.7k rather than 5 k which is where the GK crosses. As the Bag End Co-ax and crossover is the smoothest I've ever heard, I'm not messing with it!

(These are the first cab's I've heard where I could actually like the tweet... I got really used to the natural roll off of 10's standing in front of the old Ampeg 8x10 and later the roll of of the classic JBL D140. Until the BE cab's, I've hated all the tweeter's and horns I've encountered in bass rigs.)

I would like to try one of the new GK 2x12 Neo cab's to hear what they are about. Topcat over at the Dudepit seems pretty impressed. If only there was a non-Guitar Center dealer in the region short of a 4 hour drive ...