1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger 1001RBII Problem..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

I literally just picked up a clean 1001RBII from the classifieds here two days ago. The entire transaction was superb and I would happily do business with the seller/trader again. After experimenting with some different sounds, I figured I would revisit the GK sound after selling a 700RBII just a few months ago.

The amp arrived perfectly packaged. When the UPS delivery driver dropped it off, the amp inside did not move or rattle inside of the packaging box. Shortly after, I plugged everything up and the GK sound was once again knocking books off of the nearby shelves :bassist: :D

HOWEVER, shortly after (and I mean 10 minutes after) the amp started to loose significant amounts of volume and began to distort (almost like a low saturated tube type of distortion, but not defined or clear) The amp was NEVER pushed to a crazy volume in my possession.

It also began to create very unusual "filter like effects" and it felt like it was increasing volume, and then decreasing at the same time. This entire episode was going on for about thirty minutes until suddenly it stopped, and returned to normal, just like that!

This same situation has been going on for the last day or two now. There has been times where it has worked flawlessly for a long period of time, and then there has been times where the distorted sound would prolong for longer and longer periods of time. Presently, it works fine and has been for the past hour or so.

My setup for this specific rig is:

An Avatar B210 Neo (500 Watts at 4Ohms) (Again, it is not being pushed hard)

A Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling

And the GK 1001RBII..

I have tried different cables, batteries in the Sterling, Speakon to 1/4'' adapters, different speaker cables in general, you name it, I tried it, without opening up the amp because that is something I don't really want to do at the moment.

I know most of you might say bring it to a tech, but before I look around for one (my current tech is not available for a few weeks) I figured I would post it here.

Thanks for all of your responses and input!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd be talking to the previous owner. Something isn't right.

3. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    The woofer and/or boost pot may need some attention. Do either scratch when turning them? Even if quiet, it may require some cleaner and lube. A fairly easy process if you are handy with a screwdriver. You'll have to remove all of the knobs and screws to get the board out to clean the pots. Other issue could be effects send/receive, they could require attention, too. Hope this helps.

Stu-

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I had a similar experience with a 1001RBII I bought off Craigslist in January. Worked great when I first got it. A couple weeks later I was playing through it and the volume was very low and distorted. I tried many different things but nothing helped. Ended up taking it to a tech who could not get it to duplicate the problem! He went ahead and went through the amp, replacing a few things he said usually cause these problems. It ended up costing me about $160 in parts and labor. Fortunately, it has worked great ever since. Sounds like you may have a similar situation. Depending on the age of the amp maybe it just got to the point were something gave out.

5. This amp is now listed in the classifieds. I am not really in the position financially right now to throw $160.00-$200.00 at a tech. I understand and always understood that when these things break down or malfunction that I should be prepared to fork it over.

I am still in college and the funds for the repair need to be used for other things. Thanks for the replies though guys, quick and to the point just like always! Stu, I will look into it even though I really don't want to open anything up!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just saw that you got it from george. He's good people!

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Try linking the Send and Return of the FX loop with a signal cable and see if that helps.

8. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a Carvin BX1200 that did the same thing. I called Carvin and they talked me through some troubleshooting and it ended up being a ribbon cable that had worked loose in shipping. The Carvin tech said this happens all the time. I cleaned the contacts and reseated the cable and it has worked just fine for the last few years.

9. George is GREAT. One of the only people who I dealt with who talked with me on the phone. As professional as they come! Would happily do business with him again.

I have a cable in the EFX jacks right now and it is holding out pretty good, but again, it can change at anytime.

I will MAYBE open it up to see if anything came loose. Like I said in my classified, it may be an easy fix!

Thanks again everyone!

10. Has this same problem ever arose using another bass? I would wait until it starts doing it again and then plug in a diff bass right away and see.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, the amp came from me - I recently used it at a gig, and several full rehearsals and it was just fine - and we're talking in a LOUD 2 guitar rock band... I checked it out again before shipping it out, just to make sure, and packed it really, really good - besides, those amps are pretty rugged...

I honestly don't know what happened to it...

- georgestrings

12. Very strange it is! It was not packed really, really good George, it was packed really, really GREAT! :bassist:

Let me see what I can do here. I have it listed on here and Ebay, but if I can get an easy fix (at home) then I will do it. The tone is WAY to good to waste :bassist:

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I had already suggested that to him...

- georgestrings

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    It sounds like the contacts of one of the Effects Jacks are acting up - which is really weird, because you wouldn't think that shipping one of those amps should cause that sort of problem... Besides, it was only in transit for less than 3 days...

If it is the FX Jacks, I could replace them myself, or pay to have someone do it for you...

- georgestrings

15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    At least try to get an estimate for the repair before you give up on it. It could turn out to be an easy fix.

16. Will do! Myself and George will either work something out around that OR I will give GK a call or PM someone on here affiliated with them and work it out that way. (If anyone knows someone, please let me know) I do know Mr. Gallien can be reached on here though.. It can be an easy fix, and I might kick myself for it a week from now :D

17. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Not wierd at all...... flash condensation when shipping by truck is a problem I deal with at work everyday. The temp extremes are huge.

To the OP - Get some deoxit and clean them out.... a nice, easy, cheap and reliable fix.