1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger 1001RBII Transfromer 230V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miryn, Oct 9, 2017.

1. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    Hi guys.
    I have a problem with my GK 1001RBII amp. I want to buy a transformer which can be run with European 230V (I have only for 120V now). Does anybody know, where could I buy something like this except of the original GK site? Some cheaper substitute.. It doesn't have to be universal (120/230/240V) like the original one, it can run only on 230V.
    I'd be very gratefull.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I would have a very difficult time recommending anything but the original part because it is responsible for the primary to secondary safety isolation barrier.

Why do you think that the problem is with your transformer?

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    The case is i have a GK 1001RBI with Power Amp Board from RBII but unfortunately the transformer is 120V only..

4. I, for one, still don’t understand what the problem is unless you are in an area that has 240V?

5. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    Yes I'm in the area that has 230V and now I have transformer only for 120v.

6. Then your only logical path is to contact GK for the appropriate replacement. How did you end up with a 120V amp in a 230V country?

You could buy a step down transformer that has 230V in and 120V out. They might be hard to find in your country.

miryn likes this.
  7. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    Some very kind guy (kap'n kro) suggest me to buy a 230v to 120v step down transformer, which i think is a very good idea in my case!

Edit: And you sir are second. Thanks and I think I will do that.
    Either way, still, if somebody could take a photo of 1001RBII transformer signs (the values from the side), i'd appreciate it (just in case, if I'd change my mind ;))

8. You still haven’t told us how you got lumped with an amp with a 120V primary. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

9. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    I bought 1001RBI with dead power amp board. I didn't know that the hole amp is for only 120V use (transformer mainly) so I bought new power amp board (newer- RBII version) and thought it's gonna work. :banghead:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. If you do go with a step down transformer I’d size it at 1800VA. That’’s more than you need but I am very conservative with such gear.

SirMjac28 and miryn like this.
  11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    ^This guy has much more experience than I do. :thumbsup:

SirMjac28, BassmanPaul and miryn like this.
  12. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    And this sign on the transformer confused me

20171009_202341.jpg

In every step down transformer in my country there're Watts instead of VA, could you tell me please how much Watts at minimum it need?

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That picture IS a 230V transformer, What's the problem? I think you might be better off getting some more experienced help based on the questions you are asking.

VA is typically used to size transformers. VA times power factor = watts. This is due to the reactive nature of transformers and non-linear based loads. An ok rule of thumb is that VA x .8 = watts

leonard, SirMjac28 and miryn like this.
  14. I'm pretty sure you can rewire it internally. I've done his on two GK amps. Can you post a pic of the board?

15. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    That's why I got more confused, when the GK Tech told me, that I can't connect this transformer to the RBII power amp board, cuz it is only 120V transformer.
    The cables were connected by connector (under the transformer) but I separated them in hope that the technician will guide me further.

20171009_215550.jpg

20171009_215850.jpg

A few more pictures I added in THIS topic, I connected some cables but didn't know what to do with the last White one.

EDIT: I forgot I found earlier something like this: GK 120/240v operation & RMCaudio
    But i don't know if the 700RB has the same power amp board and transformer..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  16. I’m sorry but I agree with Agedhorse that it’s time to bite the bullet and take the amp to a tech. You're messing with stuff that can kill your new board if you make a mistake. I feel that you have gone far enough by yourself. The end result is that you want a working amp that’s safe to use.

leonard and SirMjac28 like this.
  17. miryn

miryn

Feb 23, 2016
    Ok we can end this thread, i called the Tech second time and he confirm by the part number that the transformer is 120V and cannot be connected in RBII power amp board. Thank You all very much for your time and help!

18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just to clarify, the GK tech noted that a 120v Mk.i transformer can't be attached to the Mk.ii power amp board to function in 230v mode. Under usual circumstances Mk.i transformers can be hooked up to Mk.ii boards pretty easily.

So yeah, seems like your options are to either get a new 230v transformer from GK (which will be the newer Mk.ii version, because that's all they have available in this day and age), or use the step-down transformer.

Not sure if they mentioned it to you, but in my talks with them, apparently the chassis may need to be slightly modified for a Mk.i to be able to contain the much larger Mk.ii transformer. Allegedly the hole for the bolt that secures the transformer would need to be moved slightly outwards away from the power amp board for there to be safe clearance.

Or find another local busted up 1001RB-i and gut it for the transformer…

vin*tone and miryn like this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Not true with this transformer, it is 230V ONLY.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Whoever you talked to has no idea what they are talking about. You already have the 230 volt transformer.
    It's possible that the SECONDARY side of the transformer is not compatible with the new output board, but that has nothing at all to do with the primary (115 or 230V) side. In fact this is likely as the rail voltages within the class G section are different.

IF this is the case, the new board is not backwards compatible with the original transformer no matter what the primary voltage might be.

This is not a "do it yourself" project (as maybe you have discovered). Where are you located?

Pbassmanca likes this.