Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger 112MBX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by booch, Nov 9, 2005.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey,

I have read several posts on this small cab but it seems everybody uses them as an extension for the double bass combo.

Does it work as a standalone cab for this next rig? I'd use my old GK400RB with it and a fretless bass guitar. The volume is low, I play with a piano that's not electronically amplified and a drummer.

Thanks!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not everybody, I use mine (and several other folks do too) as a standalone cab with a Walter Woods LoPower (120 watts? into 8ohms). And a DB.

When I was checking it out (prior to buying it) they didn't have a DB in teh store, so I played a BG through some kind of giant Aguilar head. It got plenty loud for me.

Just a stupid question, if the other guys are playing acoustic instruments, why aren't you?

3. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Not a stupid question at all!

First I wanted to buy a good quality acoustic bass guitar (this is a special instrument type where you've got to buy quality or you're left with an unplayable piece of wood that sounds like crap...), but these toys are quite expensive.
    I live in Estearn Europe where salaries are low and instrument prices are extremely high. Just for comparison, a MusicMan Stingray 5 left handed version that you get in the US for $1.300 costs $3000(!) here. I make around $600 a month... (most of which goes for the bills and food).

As for an upright, I couldn't find a left handed one. To have an instrument builder make one costs around $3000 too...

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've been using this cabinet for a month or two now with an Acoustic Image Clarus and Focus and it does a decent job, actually it sounds pretty good for low volume to moderate volume stuff on Bass Guitar.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bob Gollihur imports Bulgarian basses that run around $1800, they offer a lefty option. If he can import them and sell them for that price here, they have GOT to cost less there, right?

6. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Aahh, that's Western thinking... Don't expect anything THAT logical around here! :)

Also, the point is that I cannot play the upright yet. When I have more money I'm definitely going to invest in one, but until that time I'd rather get some portable micro gear.