Gallien Krueger 115MBE question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bal704, Sep 4, 2010.

1. I just got a new GK 115MBE extension cabinet. The GK web site says the 115MBE is 400 watts at 8 ohms. The cabinet itself is marked 200 watts at 4 ohms. The manual that came with it says 200 watts at 8 ohms.

So, can anybody tell me how many ohms this cabinet is supposed to be, and how much power it can handle?

2. According to Bob Gallien on 5/20/10, he says

The 115MBE is 8 Ohms, 400W Neo, 32 lbs.
    Bob

My cabinet has this sticker on it.

I really wanted the 400 watt 8 ohm version, but I'm confused by the sticker actually on the speaker.

Attached Files:

3. deus_cy

deus_cy

Aug 16, 2010
    mine also has that sticker...i originally got this cab in hopes to possibly add another cab ontop but cant now. oh well, i still think it sounds amazing and so far havent need to push the amp past 12 oclock:cool:

4. It sounds fine. I just don't have any real need for a 200 watt cabinet.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get a hold of GK support. If the sticker's wrong I'm sure they'll tell you. Chances are good that it is.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you have an ohm meter or multi meter, you can measure the speaker's DC resistance. Will measure around 3 ohm if it is a 4 ohm speaker. And it will measure 6 to 7 ohm if it is an 8 ohm.

7. I'll try that. I'm more concerned with the 200 watt power rating. Any way to check that?

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    No not really. But if you measure an 8 ohm speaker, you can at least know that the sticker is wrong. GK should help you out. They are quick to respond.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Chances are good 200w is more realistic than 400w, given displacement limitations, but GK is the only one who can tell you the thermal rating with ease.

10. 3.5 Ohms.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like you got a 4 ohmer. I'd contact the vendor and arrange a replacement. If they screw you around, talk to GK directly.

12. I've got an email into GK already. If it's really a 200 watt cabinet, it'll be going back and I'll get something else. I can handle 2 ohms with my amps, so the impedance really isn't the issue. I just can't use the 200 watts.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey there bal704, any chance you got this at Amazon?

14. Yeah, I got it at Amazon. Even their invoice list it at 400 watts.

15. TommyBoy_211

TommyBoy_211

Mar 22, 2010
    I just rec'd my 115MBE two days ago - same situation - 200W @ 4 Ohms. I am really disappointed.
    I called Guitar Center to verify that they had sent me the incorrect item and was told by the CS dept that the description they used was direct from GK. So to verify (once again) I went to the GK site - here's where it gets really interesting...

The GK site shows the 115MBE as a 400w cab (see below):

115MBE
    • 400 watts/ 8ohms
    • Speakon and 1/4" input
    • 15" Neodymium speaker
    • 23.5x19.5x14.75
    • 32 lbs.

So far so good, right? - well, that is until you click the link for the product manual - where it lists the 115MBE as a 200W @ 8 Ohms.

So I am left to ask a multiple-choice question.

What is the right answer?

A) Incorrect info on the site
    B) Incorrect info on the product manual
    C) Incorrect sticker on the amp
    D) Bad translation by the Chinese
    E) All of the above

16. I quoted Bob Gallien above from a post in another thread.

The 115MBE is 8 Ohms, 400W Neo, 32 lbs.
    Bob

I'm confused too.

17. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm just wondering if they might have been blowing out some prototypes or something at that price.

18. Maybe, but Tommy Boy above appears to have got his from Guitar Center.

19. deus_cy

deus_cy

Aug 16, 2010
    i ordered mine from GC and also thought it was a 400 watt 8 ohm...even a 200 watt 8 ohm wouldve been nice.

so you got 3.5ohms for a reading? i hope not...

20. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Well there's definitely an issue here. Buy what is advertised as an 8-ohm cabinet, hook it up in parallel with another 8-ohm cabinet, and then discover as the smoke rolls out of your amp that you actually have a 4-ohm cabinet. Everyone involved should be concerned what other stuff could get damaged.

I was kinda looking at them as a cool way to get a pair of 115s for a 4-ohm total load on 2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021