Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger 2000RB.??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm kinda thinking about a change...from my Mesa 400+!!

I want to try out this 2000RB amp to see what all the hoopla is about.

I am using an Ampeg 8-10 and want a little tighter bottom end. (I use a 5 string)

Does the GK have more headroom?

Is this the "unreliable" one?

I have a Hartke 3500 that I like, but I like the headroom of a big amp.

How will this compare to these amps?

Thanks,

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 2000 is the earlier model. The 2001 is the current one. I used the 2000 for a couple years. it was an excellent amp. Tons of power. I ran it bridged mono into 4 ohms and it had loads of headroom. It should easily power your 8X10 with power to spare. There should be way more headroom than the Mesa. It will sound different of course. I think you'll get very tight defined bottom with it.

I had no complaints about reliability with mine. Never a problem with it. I only sold it when I downsized. i just don't need that much power any more.

3. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I also owned the earlier model 2000RB, and it shook, rattled and rolled things around with the best of 'em.:D

The only thing I would advise is to make sure you get one with two fans (you should be able to see this through the vents.

Mine was a very early issue and came with only one fan which caused a little overheating in bridged mode. GK fixed me up with the 2nd fan (for free!) and I never had any problems after that.

If you had ever heard (felt?) this thing pumpin' through the cab I had back then (Acme Low B4), your doubts would disappear!:bassist:

4. Rockbobmel

I can't find any pics. Is there a hole for 2 fans?

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    As far as my early production model was concerned, the holes and electrical connections for a second fan were there, so it was just a simple retrofit job to add the 2nd fan.

I guess what I'm saying is go ahead and buy the amp even if it doesn't have the second fan (especially if it's a good deal)... but get that second fan put in at your earliest convenience in order to avoid any heat-related issues.

In my experience it was a reliable, great-sounding beast of an amp!

6. Rockbobmel

Should be in tomorrow. I will have 30 days for a 100% money back.

If I really dig it I will sell my Mesa 400+

7. Rockbobmel

Well, I got it home and all I can say is that it sounds like what I have been searching for for a long time.!!

I tried it on a 2-15 Fender and my Mesa P1000 cab. It sounds great with all the basses so far. I will gig with it with the 8-10 and see how it cut the gig test.

I may be selling my Mesa 400+..!!!

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
  9. Rockbobmel

I just bought it. Thanks, Man.

The one I bought yesterday has a dead power amp on one side. It is going back and I can get 100% refund.

10. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Glad to be of service to my fellow TB'ers!:smug:

That's too bad about the first one you bought... hopefully this 2nd one'll punch yer ticket!:bassist:

11. Rockbobmel

The guy does not have the footswitch though. Is there a place that has used footswitches? RF2, I think.

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    :meh:

I have the feeling that there wouldn't be too many of these footswitches floating around solo, but you never know.

Worst case?

Deal with GK direct for a new RF-2. They've got 'em listed in their website's "accessories store".

13. Rockbobmel

I found a footswitch, but no cord.

Well, the Mesa 400+ is going up on ebay.

I gave the GK a good try and I'm closer to my sound with it.

rockbobmel@yahoo.com

14. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    did the gk give you more headroom, better tone, or a combination? just curious, i may pick one of these up eventually...

15. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    No cord? Shouldn't be a problem, since the footswitch is designed to work with a "stereo" (balanced) 1/4-inch cable.

16. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    +1 I have one that I will be listing here on TB. I also run mine bridged mono into 4 ohms much headroom. Bought a DB750 to replace the 2000RB.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The 2000RB is one hell of an amp, and sexy too.

Plan to upgrade soon, maybe a 2000RB is in my future.

18. Rockbobmel

Just a whole different animal. I like both tones, but the GK is more for me.

19. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    I was looking at buying a 2000RB a while back, and there is a known issue with some of them. Overheating, shutting down, something like that. There is also a known fix (performed by GK) for affected units, which they can tell by the serial number.

Other than that, it's supposed to be a great amp.

20. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yeah... I owned a very early one and the issue seems to have been that only one cooling fan was installed over half of the heatsink area. I sent it back and the installed the 2nd fan (which was a standard feature later in the series) for free!

Terrific service by GK, by the way!