Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger 2001 RBP pre amp Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Oct 23, 2004.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Hey Dan or anyone else out there in the know.

I just bought the GK 2001RBP preamp from Riks Music. I plugged in everything correctly but I can not get the Tweeter output to work. It doesn't work either in Bi-amp mode engagued or not.

I have a stereo male 1/4 inch plugged into the Chain Out on the preamp. It was my understanding that this is a Stereo output according to the manual. THere is no other way in my opinion to get any other output from this preamp other than using the direct out. I have the stereo plug plugged into my amp. I know that the cord from the preamp to the amp works because I plugged into my home stereo and both channels work.

Do I have a defective preamp? Or am I doing something wrong? :help:

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Hey. I don't have a GK cab (I use an Aggie 112), but I don't have any issues with the tweeter knob. I turned the woofer knob all the way down, and heard this tiny high sound through the tweeter on my Aggie cab.

You didn't mention how you connected your power amp to your GK cab. I'm not familiar with GK cab set up, but if you use speakon cable, you do need a 4-wire (I don't know what the right word is) compared to the normal 2-wire speakon plug.

For me though, the tweeter knob doesn't do too much (probably because I don't use a GK cab.)

3. The tweeter knob will only work if you plug into the chain input of a 2001RB. We were going to do a power amp for it, but never got around to it. So in the case of the preamp, it's pretty much a useless feature. Just use the woofer control as a master.

4. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    My problem is that I am comparing the preamp to how my 800rb works.

The 800 RB when it is not in bi amp mode I get some serious power coming out of the hi knob as well as the low knob. I usually power a 2 10 cab with the hi output and a single 15 cab with the low, which is what I was hoping that the preamp would do the same.

Can you power a 2 10 from the Tweeter channel in full range mode?

The preamp is wired like this to the power amp. There is only one output on the preamp (Chain out) the other output is a direct out so that does not count. The plug that I plug into the chain out is a 1/4 inch stereo plug. Then it splits into left and right mono 1/4 male plugs that I plug into my 2 channel power amp. I have a ton of sound coming out of the whoofer channel but I barley and I mean I get a faint sound that you would have to turn the whoofer channel completely off to hear anything from the tweeter channel.

Is this how this thing works? I was hoping it would have been set up like the 800RB.

5. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    So basically the bi-amp on this unit is miss-leading. It will only work with another 2001RB? This was the biggest reason I bought it thinking that I could get the 800RB equivelent in a preamp. I'm super bummed now!

6. Splitting the output from the chain out, you would get two seperate signals, but the tweeter signal is only sending above 5k, so it's totally useless for anything other than a tweeter box.

7. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Will the Chain out also take a mono plug or does it have to be stereo to work?

8. Yes you can use a mono plug.