Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger 2001RB Concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Oct 26, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Last night I got my new Gallien-Krueger 2001RB. Well, I went to hook it up to my existing 8x10 (an SWR Workingman's 8x10 Tower) and found the directions (and the back panel) to be quite confusing. This is my first experience with GK and there bi-amp approach to things. My intent was to hook up that enclosure by itself and have the head operate under a 4 ohm load. I also assumed that 'bridged mono' would be the best approach for that setup. I was just about to plug my speakon cable into the L/BR output (per the directions) when I noticed that the directions say that you should not use a mono type speakon cable. So, now I'm thoroughly confused and have a great head just sitting in my bedroom that I'm afraid to use. I have not been able to reach GK (its too early in the morning for them to be open) and want to use the unit badly, but don't want to risk damaging anything.

So, to sum up this excessively long post, what would be the best method for connecting a Gallien-Krueger 2001RB to a single SWR Workingman's 8x10 Tower?

Thanks in advance :hyper:

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You should be able to plug the head through the L/BR jack to the SWR cabinet. Just make sure you are using a 2 pin speakon, and not the 4 pin cable that GK supplies. You will not be able to use the biamp feature withouth a GK cabinet.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Well, I'm at work right now so I'm not able to check which type of speakon cable I have. Just for my own reference, if I loosen the jack end of the speakon to see the wires inside, will the number of wires relay whether or not its a 2 or a 4 pin? In other words, if there are 4 wires in there will it be a 4 pin? Likewise for 2 wires?

Oh, and for reference, the speakon cable I was using was one that I bought from a local shop about a year ago and have been using with that cab and an SWR head. The GK head came with a 1/4" cable, but no speakon.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yes, you are correct. Just make sure the 2 wires go where they're supposed to according to your manual.

Then it should be OK, but open it up and check to make sure.

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Ah much thanks my friend.

6. Onethingatatime

Onethingatatime

Dec 3, 2006
    Hey, I just got a 2001RB (thanks for that to the seller) and the first of my two berg cabs have come in as well (thanks for that to the other seller). I have 3 speakon cables and a ton of ignorance.

The only cab i have right now is the EX112S (i have a HT210S on the way)

I tried to plug the speakon into the GK and to the 112 and get no sound. I used the bridged mode and plugged into the L/BR speakon outputs. There are two outputs for the speakon for the L/BR outs and i tried both with no success.

All 3 of my cables are 4-pole. Is this a terrible thing? I looked at the non-GK cables and they seemed to be wired consistent. Does anyone know if the bergantinos require a special wiring for the speakon?

I appreciate anyones time and help.
    James

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    This info is directly from the 2001RB manual:

The back of the amp tells you the pin designation as well:
    +1/-1 = Woofer amp pins
    +2/-2 = Tweeter amp pins

Just make sure your cab is wired that way, too. If you're using a regular 2-pin speakon, just make sure that the cable connects to the woofer amp properly (+1/-1).

Most standard speakon cables are already wired this way, I believe. Most cabs are that way too. Never hurts to double-check though.

8. sabbath690

sabbath690

Jul 30, 2008
    Hey,
    I've just bought a 2001rb myself, but have ran into a bit of a problem.
    Because i will love Gk to the end of the earth, i bought one in mind that everything will be awesome when i get it, unfortunately it hasn't been.
    Because I live in Australia, and because buying one over here means
    3.5k out of pocket i had to look to the USA for my solution. Anyway,
    being in Australia also means that the power lvl's are not going to be
    at 110v volts like the unit requires atm, instead the unit need to be set to 240volts. i was told in an email buy the seller that wires on the transformers will need to be changed and same with the fuse's. because I'm a musician and not an electrician i have no idea how or
    wat looks like it needs to be swapped. i've looked into a power-pack-converter-thing but they are way to much to buy for the amout of power output one needs for this head. if anyone is able to help me out regarding this issue, i will probaly have to got the the end of the earth and shake your hand :D:hyper::bag::hyper:

9. I've just done a search for "supply voltage" on www.gallien.com/community_board.html and basically what you need to do is find out what GK's Australian distributor is.

Here - I've had a look for you :

ELECTRIC FACTORY
    188 PLENTY RD.
    PRESTON 3072 VICTORIA
    11-613-9474-100
    gk@elfa.com.au
    www.elfa.com.au

Then, have a word with them and ask them for a transformer that fits your 2001RB, suitable for use in Australia.

The transformer is a dirty great big toroid (donut) with a big bolt through the middle that secures it to the chassis. It's the thing that makes your amplifier heavy.

They look like this:
    [​IMG]
    and this:
    [​IMG]

I hope that helps! :)