Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger 2001RBP preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schwinn, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Do these even exist? Saw this preamp version of the 2001RB on the GK website but I've never heard of it. Also, there is hardly any word of it on a talkbass search. Weird. Anyone have one?

I'm looking for a second preamp to put in my rack. I have a Ampeg SVP-Pro, which I love. I thought about getting a SVP-CL but after thinking about it, I'd rather have a solidstate pre that would sound good for slap and fretless - so it would serve a different purpose then my Ampeg. I'm considering the BBE Bmax but I really love my GK amp and would get a GK preamp before anything else.

2. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i cant remember who it was but someone is selling the 2001rbp preamp on this site. check the classified ads.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    riksmusic.com sells it.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey thanks Jnightmare, I found it...don't know how I missed that ad...

xb100, I'll check out that store. I wanna buy used though to save money.

Any feedback from people who've used it? Doesn't seem like a common pre that gets talked about.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    It's a great preamp but the Tweeter controls have no purpose. GK was gonna come out with a poweramp line (they still might if they have time) that would use it's biamp abilities, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Get it if you want that great subtle GK growl. And I LOVE the distortion circuit on the 2001RB/RBP. It goes from slight overdrive to outright in your face solo screamin' distortion :D

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Good to hear...I love the clean tone of GK amps too. The thing that makes me kind of wary of the BBE Bmax is the Alembic style eq. I like to boost mids and I don't know if I'd be able to get my sound out of it. I know I will with a GK though.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hardly any or no word? I'm sure there was a thread and I remember posting in it :p

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

I think I've seen one in a German store sometime ago, when these 2001RBPs came out... strange...

9. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    ive been wanting that badly. I love my 400 rb head, but it can be a little weak for the band i play in. I was thinking about just getting a power amp and going from effects out into the poweramp.

The gk preamp is around 500$ though. doesnt that seem like a ripoff. i mean i im positive it doesnt cost nearly that much to make, and the bbmax sounds almost as good. I was thinking about somehow taking the poweramp and transformer out of my 400 if i could and turning it into a preamp. it would be two rack spaces still but it would be light as hell. whatever though, im consitering the preamp myself too.

10. I think they have one in Europe, and I think I've seen some people make mention of them, but I'm not sure. Daniel Elliot?

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    No actually I gotta quote of $420 new. That's about typical for a preamp. The BBE and RBI are cheaper but there are several that cost more so I'd say it's about average or lower than average.

12. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    hi schwinn,

regarding mid-band eq'ing on a BMax, remember that we have included a mid eq section called "para-mids": 15db of boost or cut from 250hz to 1000hz.

we added this feature to specifically address your need to adjust the midrange.

good luck!

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks for your feedback. I need to try a BMax for myself soon.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    How does the RB stuff (like the 2001RBP for instance) sound compared to the MB series?

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I ordered one from Guitar Center on Saturday!!! Christmas present to myself. If only my family was this easy to shop for.

I'm going to have it in my rack with my Ampeg SVP-Pro.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats.

After you get to gig with it a bit, let us know what you think.

17. thebrince

thebrince

Apr 21, 2009
    Suwanee, Ga
    I dont know much about this stuff so help me out. im thinking of buying this. im gonna need a power amp if i hook it up to a gk cab in order to hear anything right?
    what power amps do you recomend me buying?

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes.
    Pretty much any well-made power amp will work fine.
    For light and not-so-expensive, you should look at the new Carvin power amps.

19. Musikill

Musikill

May 20, 2007
    OC, CA, USA
    If anyone is interested I have one of these preamps that is brand new (or more correctly, used less than 6 times) I bought it as a back up for my Ampeg svtcpl preamp and have not needed it. I have the remote pedal to control the channel switching.

The unit is bi-amp ready and very well featured. It has nice tone but I prefer the 5 preamp tubes of the svt preamp. I paid $550 but if someone is interested I'll figure out a price that is fair.