1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger 210MBX 200W 2x10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DynaFlow, Nov 5, 2010.

1. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone have experience with these? They're available at MF for $249 and I'm thinking of getting one. I'd be using it as an extension cab with my Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0/8 combo, to tap into the full 300 watts when needed. I'm mostly an at-home player, so it wouldn't be required often, I'd just like to have something for the occasional bar gig, and don't want to spend alot of cash.

2. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone?

3. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    bump

4. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've owned the MBX 4x10 cab for a few weeks and while it sounded ok and was a great value, It lacked in the high end department for me. I played it on couple gigs and didn't cut through for slap like i wanted. Decent low end for me, but might be lacking for most players. Returned it back to GC and surprising they had a GK Neo 4x10 used in the store for the same price as the MBX....:) basically brand new looking!!! No signs or wear whatsoever!!! So although a great value for the working musician, i would opt something with better power handling. unless you're just using it for coffee house and acoustic gigs, get the 210MBE, IMO. 50 bucks more and twice the power handling. Can use your 3.0 combo together or detach the 3.0 and use the MBE alone.

5. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, trjazzluva05.

Like you recommend, I think I'm going to save up a bit more coin and go with a lightweaight cab with better power handling. I'm considering the GK Neo 12 II or the Hartke HyDrive 1-12, both are only 30 pounds and can handle 300 watts, which would be the full output of the Shuttle 3.0. The HyDrive has the advantage of being switchable 8 or 4 ohms, which would be cool as I could combine the Shuttle 1-8 cab with the 1-12 at 8 ohms, or run the Shuttle head solo with the 1-12 at 4 ohms.

My needs are pretty modest, I rarely play out any more but for the occasions I do I'd like to have the full 300 watt capability of the Shuttle, but retaining the portability.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You get what you pay for. A 2x10 cab for $250 new is likely not a very good cab. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

7. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You're probably right. Both the 1-12 cabs I mention go for $350 street, and are pretty well regarded. So, I'm going to scrape a few more pennies together and likely give one of them a go.

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Have you went to Avatar's web site and checked out their bass cabinets?
    Their well constructed with great componets and a very reasonable price.
    I've two Avatar 210 Neo cabinets that I've gigged heavily, there doing great.
    www.avatarspeakers.com

9. DynaFlow

DynaFlow

Mar 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I've considered the Avatar 1-12, but the GK and Hartke have higher power handling (300 vs. 250 watts for the Avatar) and are lighter. Portability and a space-saving are big considerations for me.