1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien-Krueger 400RB/115 distortion question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob M, May 13, 2006.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I recently picked up a Gallien-Krueger 400RB/115. I really like the way it sounds at mid-level volumes, and usually, having it around that level is more than loud enough. But at a certain point, it starts to distort, and won't even get louder, just more distorted. Useful if you wanna play Ace of Spades, but not for much else.

Anyway, I could get hook it up to a cab, and I'm sure that would give me more headroom, but I don't exactly have the cash, space, or strength to be hauling around a combo and a cab to shows. So I was wondering if a speaker replacement could give me significantly more headroom, or if all the distortion was in the circuit, and I was just screwed until I get something other than a combo?

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. Since you said it was the combo, I would highly doubt that just replacing the speakers would do anything. GK wouldn't put speakers in their combos that can't handle the power.

I've got two ideas on this one

1. It could just be the standard GK growl depending on which volume you are turning up when it distorts. If you are using the "volume" knob to add just volume then try turning that one back to what it was and then use the "master" knob to just make it louder.

2. I know when I play my amp a louder then what I'm used to (I've got the GK 1001RB-II), my ears think it is distorting but in reality I'm just not used to the loudness (and all the rattling/shaking that comes with it)

I'd lean more towards the first idea then the second though.

3. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Oh, I know about what the Volume, Boost and Master mean. Generally a good volume will involve all three of those somewhere between 4 and 6, but if I have to do anything louder than that, I'll start with Boost at nearly zero and Volume around 2 or 3, then usually crank my Master, and try to dial in as much Volume as I can without it distorting. Problem is, that usually gets me just a little bit louder before it starts to distort. And this is definately distortion, not just me thinking it's too loud.

There aren't any good 15" speakers out there that are legendary for their ability to keep clean at high power levels?

4. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Bothell, WA
    Sounds to me like you need a more powerful amplifier if you want it to make a big difference. I recently upgraded from the 400RB head to iAMP 800. Massive difference in headroom and ability to play loud and clean.

5. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Believe it or not, bring your boost up all the way and roll back the volume. The boost will alleviate the alot of the distortion. Also, using the mid scoop contour button will reduce some of the mid growl but, also smooth out the distortion.
    Remember though, it is only a 400m rb, not a 1001. The 400 is only good up to mid volume levels before it starts to overdrive. Nice practice amp and small venue but, gotta go bigger for more than that. I own both and the 1001 runs circles around the 400 in the headroom dept.