1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger 400RB-III combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I had the opportunity to play through one of these (the 15" combo version) that belonged to another band at a gig this evening. I'd have to say that's the loudest 150 watts I've ever heard from a bass amp. I was running sound for the band that owned it, and I had to yell at the bass player to turn down repeatedly. Of course, when my band's turn came up, I cranked that mutha :D . In what I would say was a medium-size club, it cut through (more like drowned out) a Peavey Delta Blues and a Yamaha 100-watt 12" combo without any trouble. I'd say it seemed a little more powerful than the rig I used last time I played that club, an 80's SVT on a Peavey 810TVX. It put my little yamaha preamp/poweramp+aguilar 112 rig to shame. I'd say the sound was a little "boxy", and not the warmest tone in the world, but a sansamp BDDI would probably help it in that respect.

Any other opinions on this amp?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one and like it very much. I opted for the 1x15 bottom for a fuller sound. While at one of my local music stores I noticed a 1x15 400RBIII on top of a gk 4x10 cab. I asked my buddy to plug up the tens to the 1x15 combo and picked up a jazz bass. I cranked the volume half way and let it rip, to say I was inpressed was an understatement. the sound was very clear and robust. Granted I could not dial up the mudd, but I dont like the muddy sound. Some like this equipment, some dont. ymmy