1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger 400RB-III Fan/Case screws

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thechoochlyman, Aug 7, 2012.

1. thechoochlyman

thechoochlyman

Mar 11, 2012
    I got my amp with a speaker cabinet for $450 used. The fan had already been replaced once with a hard-wired 120 volt fan instead of the variable voltage DC fan that it came with. Apparently, those fans and the usage sensors had the tendency to fail often.

My two questions are:
    Where would be the best place to find a new 120 volt 3" fan, and
    Does anybody know what size case screws the head uses? A couple of them were stripped.

2. jjedmonds

jjedmonds

Aug 28, 2005
    Hey choochlyman, did you every get an answer on the case screws?

3. thechoochlyman

thechoochlyman

Mar 11, 2012
    I think they were probably like 6s. I ended up drilling and tapping the holes to 10-24 and then installing cap screws, like so:
    [​IMG]

I was able to order a fan like the one in there already from Parts Express for like $15.

4. jjedmonds

jjedmonds

Aug 28, 2005
    Ah, nice. Might try that. Emailed and called GK to ask about the size and about even ordering a set from them...no response to either...

5. thechoochlyman

thechoochlyman

Mar 11, 2012
    Felt like bumping this thread to give a final solution for my fan issue.

Bought an identical 120 volt fan from partsexpress.com - JUNK. It started doing the same thing as the old fan after about two weeks (which amounts to about four hours of use). Disgruntled, I came up with a resolution that has done extremely well so far.

I took a 9V DC wall adapter and attached it inside the case. I soldered some 14 gauge wires onto the plugs, and soldered one wire to the case ground, the other to the hot side of the power switch.
    [​IMG]

I then cut and spliced the other end directly to an 80mm PC case fan. Not a problem since, and I can barely hear it running.
    [​IMG]

For reference, this is what the other fan looked like.
    [​IMG]

6. Cito

Cito

Dec 16, 2012
    Thank's thechoochlyman, This was a Brilliant fix!!!!
    I just bought a used GK 400 RB-III, for a good price, but The fan was no working. I realized this Two days after the purchase.Came across your fix and it Works Great!!!!!! I used the existing Fan, after testing it with The 9v Transformer.
    I'm up and running, without missing a beat. You must be A great Bass player as well, with a mind like that, Would love to hear your music.

I Modified the fix By flipping the fan so it blows the air up and out.
    The reason for this is, after pulling the head out of the combo speaker, I spent three hours Cleaning the dust from every part, circuit Boards and cooling fines, Fan blades,Pots, Caked with years of dust. This also solved A intermittent crackling problem I thought was a blown speaker. The Fan now blows the dust out of the head NOT in. I had to add 4 bamboo shims, reeds, to raise the fan to allow just enough blade clearance from the aluminium cooling fines.
    Cito