Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger 400RB-IV Combo 2x10' vs. 1x15'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 29, 2005.

1. I know I posted a couple threads latlesy, but I finally figured that this is the combo for me out of all my research I've done.

But I'm stuck between the 210 and the 115. Which would you go with and why?

2. bump

3. I'm a big GK fan - I own a 1001RB-II. I owned a 400RB-210 combo, and it really didn't have any bottom end. Very thin sounding. Definately test the 210 before buying if you think you want to go with this option. I think I'd go with the 115. But, you might want to roll witht the 1001RB 210 combo as I believe it comes with GK's higher-end Paragon speakers (I haven't heard anyone complain about thinness with this combo).

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Do you plan to add an extension cab later? If so I would opt for the 210 myself.

If you are trying to keep things portable, then the 115 might be the way to go, but it really depends on what kind of sound you are trying to achieve.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +1 :bassist:

6. What about the 700RB-210 ?? Look like it has the same ported enclouser as the 1001RB and higher quality speakers right???

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I still think the GK1001RB uses even better speakers. I have that combo, and it provides tons of bottom, and the punch is awesome. My woofers have cast frames, and handle 200 watts each. It's all relative, but I have never heard them get out of control. I also let the house PA cover the SPL duties, but that is a very loud cab. I got rid of the 115RBH because I didn't need it.
    Wes

8. You should probably look at the specs on GKs site (or ask TB member Daniel Elliott) - I'm not really familiar with the 700RB combos :)

9. does anyone know any general tone diffrences between the two... Ampeg and Gallien Krueger ???

From what I believe to be tru, Ampeg is somewhat smoother adn warmer, and Galline Krueger is more gritty and "driven" sounding.

anyone?

10. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    ampeg is more of classic bass tone. warm, fat, low, and groovy. GK is as modern as it gets. punchy, snappy, tight, and detailed. i myself prefer GK as ive never been an ampeg fan but that is simply my opinion. have you had a chance to play both rigs?