1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gallien krueger 400rb vs mb200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daveyo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    I am getting back into playing and wonder what the difference in these 2 amps is.
    I used to own a couple of GK 400 rbs that I was very happy with but now I am aware of the mb 200.
    thanks for your input
    Dave

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The MB200 is A LOT smaller than the 400RB. The biggest difference to me is the power section. You can't get that GK grind on the MB200 the same way you can on the 400RB.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, if you're interested in the specs, you can go to the Gallien Krueger website and look at them (and at the manuals). The MB200 is much smaller, and puts out less into 8 ohms than the 400RB does... but both put out 200 watts into 4 ohms (on paper).

As far as the intangibles...

There was a recent thread about this, which you can look up. I own both, and my opinion is that the flat sound of the 400RB definitely has more mids, and the amp just has a grittier quality. I'm not talking about distortion, but just that "organic" thing, which might have something to do with the older design vs. class D amps. I'm not a technically minded guy.
    I use the MB200 for rehearsals and for small rooms. It will hold its own against a drummer and two guitarists, in reasonable situations. It is more hi-tech sounding than the 400RB, so I use the older amp when I need to get louder AND when I need that gutsy mid-range voice to assert itself.
    Hope this helps...

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yup .. what doug said ...

.. the MB200 goes with me in my shoulder bag wherever I go .. it has saved me a couple times when backlines quit .. it also sits on top of my micro 210 for rehearsals ...

.. the 400RB, sit on top of a stack of 210's when playing out ... prefer for reasons doug mentions .. if the 400 isnt enough, the 800RB comes out and add another 210 ...

... in all situations, the MB200 is in within reach ... for what I paid used for the MB200, it is $$ in the bank and I would be fine using it at any time ... I just like the older GK heads (unfortunately 400RB is currently in the shop, just for that reason .. old heads occassionally need attention) ... JMHO

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried the new 400RB-IV.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yeah, a lot of people use them. It's been out for years.

7. Hey John,
    I've been using a 400RBIV for years. It's a great amp and very loud for it's 280 watt rating in my opinion. It can do the gritty GK thing at much lower volumes than the other RB heads. Hope this helps,
    Take Care,
    Brent

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Good info - thanks Brent. I remember the good old 400RB. I don't remember it looking like the other current RB heads though so I assumed they had just re-released it.

9. Yeah, really the only thing it's lacking is the GK bi-amp capability. They did retire the amp for a bit with the backline series but brought it back a year ago I think?
    Brent

10. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I have both as well.
    Everybody in this thread is spot on.

400RB = growl/ mids more pronounced.

MB200 = clean/ lows more pronounced

IME, you can push the MB200, but it sounds more of a clean slight overdriven amp.
    It doesn't have a mid girth that sticks out when being driven like the RB series.

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    If I remember correctly, I think I first saw the RB IV make its appearance in the catalogs in Fall of 2011, and production about a month later ...

12. First production was around 2002 IIRC replacing the 400RB III. It did go out of production for a short time but after all product production moved back to California in 2012 it was re-released and the BL600 was dropped.