1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Gallien-Krueger 400rb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacobSoumas, Jun 26, 2019.

1. JacobSoumas

JacobSoumas

Jun 15, 2019
    Ive been playing bass for around a year and I’ve had to make do with an Orange Cr120 as my amp. The problem is the clean channel has no mid control with no character and the dirty channel sounds terrible. In my area there is a Series 1 Gallien Kreuger 400rb for sale, I just wanted to know if it sounds like a good idea to trade in my old amp for the GK (I’ll also be going to test it out soon). To add, I play with a pick and am looking for a loud and teeth grinding tone like something out of Tool’s Undertow album (would probably pair the amp up with a ProCo Rat).

Attached Files:

Red Planet likes this.
  2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    One of the best bulletproof bass amps in the industry. Provided YOU take care of it!

You'd have to go Peavey if you decided to get anything above bulletproof.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those 400RB's are one of the tried and true most workhorse amps. I've had three over the years and would buy another if I needed to. Great edgy tone.

4. I wouldn't even bother thinking about it. Just get the GK and never look back. Them amps are quite rare over here and by all accounts sound superb.

gitfiddl, The Owl and Red Planet like this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It’s a great platform, but there are at least 4 different iterations of this amp.

You should spend some time figuring out why they released 3 additional versions over the years before you decide that you want the original one.

Red Planet likes this.
  6. JacobSoumas

JacobSoumas

Jun 15, 2019
    Well that’s good to hear! Considering you owned three, do by any chance know of a road case that I could put the amp in. It doesn’t seem to have any sort of rack-mounts but I’d like to keep the amp safe when playing shows.

7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I made a damn good case for my 400RB out of a small beat-up suitcase I found at a thrift store that I lined with foam rubber. Made it about 25 years ago, toured with it a lot, it still serves!

Red Planet and wave rider like this.
  8. govknoc

govknoc

Jun 4, 2019
    I am on my second one right now. Best bang for the buck you can find.

9. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I like this combination in an effects rack. Hard to think I would drive the little GK without the Sansamp pre. 20180421_184508.jpg

Kro and Red Planet like this.
  10. JacobSoumas

JacobSoumas

Jun 15, 2019
    That’s a very nice rig! Did your 400rb come with the rack mounts on it?

Red Planet likes this.
  11. Pocket4

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Jacob, no it was a double fortune to find both used at good prices.

Red Planet likes this.
  12. I absolutely love my series one 400rb.

If it didn't come with rack ears, then good luck. So hard to find on their own.

Red Planet likes this.
  13. Pocket4

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    And yes the 400rb had rack mount ears.

Red Planet likes this.
  14. Rack ears can be fabricated from angle aluminum.
    Most will want to paint them black,
    but leaving them plain look great on top an old PV cab. :thumbsup:

Kro and Red Planet like this.
  15. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.

My good man you will never go wrong with a GK bass amp. They is made of the stuff the universe was put together with (Unicorn dust). :bassist:

gitfiddl, BLDavis and joshmmorrison like this.
  16. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Just do it. Grey, unremovable power cord models are amazing. The other, newer models won’t disappoint at all.

gitfiddl and joshmmorrison like this.
  17. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    These fit on the 400er! Klick

18. They fit on the older one that the side plate needs to be removed to add the rack plate??

19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Pretty sure that won't work. Those are for the later models that used a similar chassis to the 700 and 1001RBs if I'm not mistaken.

joshmmorrison likes this.
  20. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    I use this rack ears on a 400RB-II, 200RB, 200RCB and a 1200SEB. These amps have approximately the same outer dimensions:
    all1.jpg
    At the 200RB and the 200RCB I had to made holes for the screws.

Ian McLaughlin and Kro like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021