1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GALLIEN KRUEGER 700RB II 115 COMBO STARTED ON FIRE....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Jul 8, 2012.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Has anyone else had a problem with Gallien Krueger HEads or Combo Amps bursting into flames all the sudden out of front of the left side of the amp above the gain control area? I have a 4 year old 700RB II 115 combo amp that Is barely used bout for a handful of practices with my band, and it has sat for about 2 years without being used in my bedroom. Today I powered in on and started playing at medium volume to a couple songs, and all the sudden i heard a singe noise and flames started coming out of the front of my bass amp in the front section of the left hand side about the gain knob. i quickly shut it off and blew out the flames which lasted about maybe 6 seconds. I was afraid to turnit on cuz it was smoking out of the fan vent and it smells like burnt plastic now. I checked it all out and nothing seems to be melted so i powered it back on and it seems to work fine at least for the few minutes i played thru it again. Do any of you fellow bassists have any why this happened. I am very upset becuase the amp is till like new and barely used and definately never pushed hard or anything. Pklease any info comment greatly appreciated.

2. WOW

No. Never, and I’ve been using GK amps since the 80’s. I’m not saying it can’t happen but until I see it I can’t believe it. Did you capture it on video or have any pictures or anything?

3. By the way - I’d contact GK and tell them because if that happened I’m pretty sure they would like to know about it because that would be a bummer. Here is a quick GK contact link. http://gallien-krueger.com/contact.html

4. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    No the flames were pretty brief, and it was like a short burst then it died out, and started to smoke. I am wondering if a bunch of dust mite have got down into the fan in the circuits or something. I am pissed rite off. This amp is a killer amp, and I love GK. I just hope i didnt fry sumthing in it. It seems to be ok so far now. There is this oily substance on the fan and it smells like burnt plastin or a burnt rubber vacum dleaner belt.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Don't play it. You fried something.

6. To be on the safe side, I’d turn it off and wait for some of the pro repair techs like B-string, Mr. Foxen, and etc on TB to comment. Good luck bro.

7. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks Joe and everyone. I conteacted Gallien Krueger also. Thanks for the link Joe.

8. You're welcome.

9. You REALLY need to have a professional check it over. I did have a Marshall ValveState that did this and the customer found out he had cock roaches. Didn't damage the amp really but the cock roach was a different story? Not saying that your amp was "bugged" but just a light harted story that is a possibility. Could be many other things.

tech@gallien.com is a good contact on that list the other direct contacts at G-K are:

Warranty
    christine@gallien.com

Tech
    daniel@gallien.com

jason@gallien.com

Parts
    lailany@gallien.com
    or (209) 234-7300 extension 120. 9am to 4pm PST USA

Brian Clark; Artist Relations

brian@gallien.com
    209-234-7300 ex 105

10. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Yeah I hear ya B-String. Do you think alot of dust in the fan mite have caused it? I also had a rag that was sitting a lil ways beside the fan slots that had dried up rubbing alcohol on it, I just remembered, but i dont think it was that cuz the alcohol was dry on the rag but there was still the smell of rubbing alcohol on it from widing down my bass strings. I dont know.

11. Dust is conductive but at those voltages I kind of doubt it. If you still had some alcohol fumes then yes, but that should be dry inside in about 30 to 45 minutes? An hour tops if it soaked any dust.

12. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Did you try to run an an extension cab or anything?

When I played guitar in a band, our bassist had a 800rb that was 2 months old. During practice it caught fire (which would have been awesome during a rock gig, but was not appropriate with the music we were playing).

It wasn't a little fire, the thing was up quick and we were lucky to put it out quickly. Our drummer, who's an electrical engineer, took a look and saw he had his 4 ohm cab plugged into the 8ohm minimum HI output. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, but the rest of us morons didn't have a clue. We opened it up, there was a quarter size burn hole through that section of the power amp.

I know this is a different amp, but GK's don't go on fire every day, so I figure I would share.

The same dude ended up replacing his rig and now has a SVT classic and runs it into an 8 ohm cab. I guess he didn't learn his lesson and listen to the little words on the back of your amp.

The best thing to do is obviously have a professional look at it. But if you're stubborn like me, you can pop the top off and see if there are any burns on the PCB (obviously with it unplugged). The preamp and poweramp are easy to differentiate.

13. smilendragon

smilendragon

Jul 11, 2012
    Being a technician I worked on a 700 RB II...it had a bad power amp IC used to supply the 50 watts for the horn...it had fried a couple of leads and took out a supply rail to the IC...the part was inexpensive but had to hard wire the fused trace...it is mounted on the left side and would likely cause smoke and a flame in failure mode....the main amp is discrete and remained undamaged..
    Also from what I saw from research some early serial numbered models had a oscillation mod...would suggest that this could be what was observed...

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hear any pops before/while this happened? The "oily substance" you speak of could indicate an exploded capacitor. Burning resistors usually burn dry and just make a lot of really stinky smoke.

Pure speculation there......you need a real tech.

15. Hi i remember talking to a fellow bass player back in the mid 90s here in Oz discussing bass amps and he said one of the best sounding amp he had used was GK 800RB...when i asked him did he still have it he said ''No it burst into flames and burnt out and that was the end of that''..i had a lend of MB 150 combo for a while and at the end of the night the top of it was so hot i reckon you could litreally fry an egg on it..id never known any amp up to that time to run so hot

Leslie

16. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Interesting. I think Im gonna mail the head section to Gallien Krueger, and have them look at it. Thanks for all the replys. Does anyone happen to know If I can get a replacement fan from Gallien Krueger, and see if I can install it myself if there are no burn marks on the circuit board. Ya never know maybe its just the fan itself that got burnt up.

17. Call the parts number I posted above, they sell parts up to complete PC boards, transformers, cases.

18. It took you TWO years just to think about it?? WOW!! :)

murphy and Thick McRunfast like this.