1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger 700rb-Very Quiet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChilliDog, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    Hey Talkbass,
    I just got a hold of a Gallien Krueger 700rb for free, which is pretty awesome, I'd say. However, something is going on with the input, because it makes very little sound. I know it's not the output, I was able to get sound and proper connection there. Does anyone here know what could be causing this and/or how to fix it?

Thank you very much!

2. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    Self bump

3. No need to bump so soon!
    Unless you're handy with a soldering iron and have some testing tools in your shop, you could have a hella hard time fixing an amp.

If you are though...
    Check to see if your input is grounding out. (You can hotwire a cut cable to the circuit board to bypass the Jack to check that, too.)
    Check for cold solder joints.
    That's all I got for now.

4. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    Awesome, thanks!

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Is your input pad switch engaged?

You have four "volume" knobs on that head. Input Volume; and Bi-Amp Output Boost, Tweeter, and Woofer. My input volume is typically at 9:00, Output Boost at 3:00 (almost full up; this is where the GK growl comes from), Tweeter at 9:00 and I use the Woofer as my master. Make sure some of these are not off (I'm sure the Tweeter is not your problem).

6. got the pad button set right for your bass?

7. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    Even if I jack all four volume knobs up, all I get is a very gritty (as in nasty, not nice grit) and super quiet sound. And whether I have the pad on or off, all it does it take away what little sound I'm getting

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You might have rusty pods. cleaning the electronics with contact cleaner can help fixed that problem. I've had the same problem with my gk 700rb-II bass head. the pods were rusty when I wass turning the controls. it keeps making scratching noises and it keeps cutting out my sound. after cleaning the pods with contact cleaner, the amp sounds more clear.

9. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    The pots don't make any crackling noises when I turn them, any of them on the amp. Also, just discovered that when I play quietly, the sound is much cleaner, but still super quiet. I'm talking this wouldn't even disturb a conversation quiet.

10. That would definitely do it...
    But please, *pots.

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Plug an instrument cable between your fx loop out and fx loop in. If that helps, clean the jacks with DeoxIt™. http://www.caig.com/

Sometimes the contacts in those jack get a bit dirty and can produce the low volume/distorted sound.

Good luck,
    =wr=

12. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    After the pot's idea that Crystalman85 put up, I jacked the volume and listened closely. It's definitely the pots. One more question then: How do I get to the pots on this amp?

13. I had a similar problem. I opened the amp up, and made sure that all the little mass connectors were fully seated. Closed it back up, and was good to go. I guess they vibrated loose during transport.

14. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Open the top panel, then remove all pot knobs.
    Take a picture of the boards for memorization.
    Remove any harness attach to the preamp board.
    Unscrew all plastic bolts on face plate jacks. Unscrew all bolts on pots.
    Remove preamp board from amp.

Use Caig DeOxit on any of the openings/splits on the pots and twist until pot feels smooth and flowing.
    While you're at it, use DeOxit on an instrument cable. Plug it in/out of any of the jacks.

Put everything back together.
    I did this to 2 GK amps and 3 various preamps.

15. ChilliDog

ChilliDog

Mar 6, 2011
    Nashville, Tn
    I'll try that as soon as I can, thanks!

16. Don't forget to try what wave rider suggested! The effects return jack has contacts inside that connect the preamp to power amp when no plug is inserted and are subject something called "fretting" which is a micro corrosion (you can't see it). Using an instrument cable from effects send to effects return (looping the jacks) will tell if that is your problem.