1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger 700RB Volume Setting Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 18, 2008.

1. So I took my new-to-me 700RB into a shop to get it blown out and looked over. When I got it home, it sounded quieter than when I brought it. Trouble is, the tech changed all of my settings to check the pots and I didn't memorize where I had anything. To get it to the same volume that it was at before, I turned the input gain straight up, the boost straight up and the woofer volume straight up (I don't use the tweeter so the volume is down). But I don't remember having the boost volume up, but I am not positive that I didn't, lol. Anyway, it sounds to me that at these settings I am at approximately stage volume (in line with a rock drum kit). Is that right, or did something get fubar'd at the shop? Where do you all set your volumes to get to stage voume?

Thanks!

2. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    First thing, dowload an owner's manual here:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf

It explains the controls pretty well.

You have to turn up the boost to get volume. For a given overall volume, moderate boost volume with high woofer volume gives you a clean sound. At the same overall volume, high boost volume with moderate woofer volume gives you a dirty/growly sound.

3. Hmmm, I have the same amp, "stage settings" would be around 11/11 for the woofer/master vol but my boost is around 3 so I guess that makes up for it. It could probably go louder but I've never had the desire to obliterate my ears.

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I run mine with the woofer at 12:00, tweeter at 11:00, and the boost at 3:00. Then I set my volume. Usually it's pretty low.... about 7 or 8:00. With the 212 it's cranking.

ljazz

5. OK, if you need the Boost turned up to get volume then I must have had the Boost straight up without knowing it. I have a little OCD, lol, so I usually set my controls at 90 degree intervals - 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, and then either on or off, so I could have easily rolled it straight up without knowing it.

Thanks for this info all, especially the PDF - I had a old school 400RB back in the day and the boost control didn't work this way, to my recollection... but that was a long time ago.

For now, I am running my pre-amp vol, boost and woofer vol all at 12:00, and my eq flat except for the bass which will be at 3:00. It seems to give me proper volume for stage & rehearsal and it does sound pretty frickin' great - nice and growly!

6. rofl RIGHT ON. I hate my OCD

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021